Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

50 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

That means it could be Fog, snow, rain.mist, ice, high cloud, medium cloud,low cloud, partly cloudy, 10 deg below freezing, or it may even be nice and clear, or even partly cloudy Mark haha

It's now saying fog, mist and a bit of rain so 3 out of 15 nots bad  lol 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it'll change another 3 times before tomorrow.

it was nice here earlier at about 4;30, so had the scope out for a little planetary session. Venus really bright and found Mars in the finder before I could see it naked eye - i was quite impressed with myself for that.

hopefully it'll stay clear for later and i can get back out

When I was out earlier, I was defocused on venus the big blob clearly wasn't round, I assumed this because of the current phase of venus, but when I tried again on mars it was the same - is this an indication that my secondary is twisted?

11 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

09:10  forecast tonight now clear again for Ossett and Winscar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I have looked Eric and it says clear with fog from about 1am lets just hope they've got it wrong. I'm planning Winscar for tonight will keep an eye on the weather but hoping to arrive between 5-6pm. :thumbsup:

Also maybe off to wales tomorrow near Bala if the dob mob welsh contingent confirms good weather :grin:

I'm good for tonight, probably be about 8:45 for me though - one day I'll be able to make it for 5; in about 10 years, when I don't have to put the kids to bed!

spent about 2 hours on telescope maintenance last night: Got some springs to replace the rubber compression washers; ended up with the mirror out completely, only to find that the springs were to small and kept falling through the hole! So put it all back together and onto collimation which I thought it need anyway after the earlier mini session.

so with the Astro baby guide in hand I set to work on the secondary - after about 10 minutes, I realised how glaringly obviously bright the edges where, so out with the black sharpie, out with the secondary and now the edges are nice and black. Put that back together and about another 40 mins later, to my untrained eye, perfect collimation:hello2:

so, just need to take it outside now to check it and reap the rewards :headbang:

With a bit of luck (pending a PM) I'm heading South to pick up an NEQ6 Pro this aft, so may detour off to Winscar on the way back up as it'd probably be about the right time when I'm passing.

@Soupy you mentioned flogging off some scopes etc at t'pub t'other week - don't s'pose you've got a pair of rings & dovetail that'll fit an 8" OTA going spare within that lot have you??

3 hours ago, mapstar said:

I have looked Eric and it says clear with fog from about 1am lets just hope they've got it wrong. I'm planning Winscar for tonight will keep an eye on the weather but hoping to arrive between 5-6pm. :thumbsup:

Also maybe off to wales tomorrow near Bala if the dob mob welsh contingent confirms good weather :grin:

I will be there at 5pm, with fingers crossed, set up and playing the usual waiting game haha , can be as foggy as it wants as long as we get some hours in !!!

Just now, 2STAR said:

I will be there at 5pm, with fingers crossed, set up and playing the usual waiting game haha , can be as foggy as it wants as long as we get some hours in !!!

The forecast is still showing clear with some cloud around 10pm. Seeing will be very good although at present I have high hazy cloud here when it is supposed to be sunny and clear. will be there for around 5pm though :happy7:

14 minutes ago, mapstar said:

The large bank of high cloud has moved off to the south as far as I can see.

The car is all packed and ready for the off

Just having a bite to eat. Clear skies all 

So am I hope to get there around 6-00pm see you all soon

Well, tonight looks as good as last night according to the BBC - which gave clear all night - when in reality it was patchy cloud, nice for a bit, then clouded over. I did manage to get 42mins of Ha on the Horsehead Nebula.

Might try & get out again tonight once baby is asleep.

Horsehead_Nebula.jpg

Well, on a coffee break from driving back up the M1 I had a wander out into a neighbouring field at Woodall Services with the TS70... and not a peep to be scene in yonder sky but hazy thin cloud, so I’m afraid I’m now at home pratting about with EQMOD... soz!!

That's a shame D, don't you carry any spares? It's looking pretty good here, well, after I kindly asked next door to switch off their security light which illuminates most of my garden too.

Currently enjoying the warm room (shed) whilst more Horsehead subs roll in.

Damian 

yes pity about the dew heater band,my first battery went flat after the first two hours

so got a spare one out ,but I had the problem of the eyepiece dewing up

as you know ,but still had a good night veiwing and got some good targets

Good to see a few of the WADAS crew out.

Myself, Eric, Lee and Neil had a few hours but I think we all had our problems.

The skies as I left were getting better. A shame to leave but will sort it tomorrow  

Archived