NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

On 07/04/2017 at 08:47, Dec said:

Great night last night.

Excellent talk Gain. Really enjoyed it. I'm one of those guilty of chasing messiers and nothing else. Certainly puts a different perspective on things.

Cant wait to get out now. Roll on some clear skies!!

Thanks mate.

Glad you enjoyed it Declan, ...We'll hopefully get to see some galaxy cluster images from you soon!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/04/2017 at 09:36, Bengrant76 said:

Thanks all for a great night, a very thought provoking talk from Gain, makes you think just how much stuff is out there, and how much of it can be seen with modest equipment. Also thoroughly enjoyed a good curry with good company, you really are a very welcoming and friendly bunch in Wakey! hope everyone managed to make it to work today  after such a late night!

Ben

Thanks Ben and great to meet you in person. Curry was fun!

17 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Couple of 30sec  images of the Moon from last night

MOON 8-4-17.jpg

MOON2 8-4-17.jpg

Great images Eric, I knew from the detail you were getting on your laptop on Saturday night they'd be good. Hope your grandson got a few goals yesterday.

I've attached an cropped image from the 12 x 300s lum subs I took on Saturday.

With conditions as they were no point doing any proper calibration frames, had to crop background as the haze/DLB left some strange banding but managed a bit of detail.

M51 crop1.png

Nice Images guys under challenging conditions. 

I was working last night but managed to get out and look at the stars for quite a while.

The sky transparency must've been good as I could pick out quite a few stars and from the light pollution at work it was quite a surprise.

Hopefully the skies will remain good for the new moon in a couple of weeks. I have a trip to the dales mini star party Tuesdays 18th to Thursday 20th and then possibly two days in Elan Valley south wales over the easter weekend. 

I will try to get out between now and then :thumbright:

8 hours ago, Dec said:

Great images Eric, I knew from the detail you were getting on your laptop on Saturday night they'd be good. Hope your grandson got a few goals yesterday.

I've attached an cropped image from the 12 x 300s lum subs I took on Saturday.

With conditions as they were no point doing any proper calibration frames, had to crop background as the haze/DLB left some strange banding but managed a bit of detail.

M51 crop1.png

Under the conditions that is a great image Dec, looking forward to going up to that spot again with you when the Man in The Moon dims his lights !!!!!!! ,  just found it on Google Map haha

Cracking images Eric and Dec. Good to read to got out together and achieved some great results.

Here are a couple of my Jupiter images from Saturday night. Struggled with focus and poor seeing all night, so I'm happy with these.

Celestron 8SE and QHY5L-II colour planetary camera.

Jupiter, Io & Ganymede.tif

Jupiter 08.04.2017.tif

Jupiter.tif

1 hour ago, 2STAR said:

Under the conditions that is a great image Dec, looking forward to going up to that spot again with you when the Man in The Moon dims his lights !!!!!!! ,  just found it on Google Map haha

Definitely Eric, we'll get another trip up around the new moon.... it's called Bungdale Head campsite if your searching for it on google

18 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Cracking images Eric and Dec. Good to read to got out together and achieved some great results.

Here are a couple of my Jupiter images from Saturday night. Struggled with focus and poor seeing all night, so I'm happy with these.

Celestron 8SE and QHY5L-II colour planetary camera.

Jupiter, Io & Ganymede.tif

Jupiter 08.04.2017.tif

Jupiter.tif

Cheers Vicky,

Was good to get out. Haven't done much recently so good to blow the cobwebs off. Also picked up a few good ideas from Eric especially his storage box to protect his laptop from the cold/dew.

Great detail on your Jupiter images. Can't have been easy getting those on Saturday,  Eric had Jupiter in his scope and you could see the seeing conditions making it jump about quite a bit on the screen.

On 4/10/2017 at 22:38, Dec said:

Cheers Vicky,

Was good to get out. Haven't done much recently so good to blow the cobwebs off. Also picked up a few good ideas from Eric especially his storage box to protect his laptop from the cold/dew.

Great detail on your Jupiter images. Can't have been easy getting those on Saturday,  Eric had Jupiter in his scope and you could see the seeing conditions making it jump about quite a bit on the screen.

Well I sharpened/lightened this image just to try and show Jupiter Moons, Stellarium on my Android showed Ganymede in a different position to the one on my laptop !!!!!!!!!!!!, any suggestions ? on 8/04/17 2300 hrs ( think its Europa nearest and lo up to the right, bottom left could be a double star ?)

5X.JPG

Hang on, it might be Amalthea? I think thats around mag -14 though, although i thought that might be too bright. Just after 11pm though, about 23:15 - 23:30 i can see a star appearing from behind jupiter of around -13 mag, could it be that?

3 hours ago, astrotyke said:

Not sure Derek for that time, Europa is the one on the far left, and im sure IO is the one on the right. Ganymede will be well off to the right 

Who's Derek? 

I think it will be reversed Chris as Eric uses a schmitt . 

I had a look a the times here 

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/observing-tools/jupiter_moons/jupiter.html#

Shows IO left Europa right. Might be a star close in or another moon but suspect it would be a lot dimmer if it was one of the minor ones? 

On 4/12/2017 at 12:10, astrotyke said:

Hang on, it might be Amalthea? I think thats around mag -14 though, although i thought that might be too bright. Just after 11pm though, about 23:15 - 23:30 i can see a star appearing from behind jupiter of around -13 mag, could it be that?

My camera will pick up -14 mag also

IMG_8132.thumb.JPG.5f3ed016f6ac608e7bf5db6429763b95.JPG

WADAS has a new member! 

Supplied by Gain's Astro Emporium haha!

We have a SKYWATCHER EQ5 mount with RA motor drive, dual weights and polarscope,  a Celestron C6R 6inch f8 achromatic refractor OTA with dual speed focuser, erect image prism diagonal plus extension tube and  a series 4000 Meade 26mm plossl. The instrument is quite large and looks impressive. Our original target scope was a SW 120 on an EQ3/2.

The finderscope is mine and not included so if anyone wants to donate a 9x50 finderscope with bracket for a standard SW shoe, that would be great.

The scope is ready to go but could do with a decent finder scope as mentioned above. In addition, we could add a decent 2inch mirror diagonal,  wideangle 2inch eyepiece and solar film for the front cap at some point in the future.

This little lot new would cost £950. We've paid £370 and it is in excellent condition.

Looking forward to seeing this scope at our forthcoming public outreach events and of course, the scope will be available for loan by members (subject to conditions).

Archived