Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dob build....

estwing

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, estwing said:

I'm thinking of building a big Dob...is there any essential tools i need for such a construction?

I would of thought a 18" Dob was a big Dob?. What size are you going for 25" ?    

One essentially is one big Mirror?

26 minutes ago, estwing said:

I'm thinking of building a big Dob...is there any essential tools i need for such a construction?

Table saw 

Router

Pillar drill/press

Angle grinder 

Welder

Wood glue

Milling machine

Lathe

And a Faulksy to put it all together :icon_biggrin:

Standard ply is full of voids... :(

Good timing this thread as I am putting together a supplies list myself... got the tools already with having a woodworking hobby. 16 incher will be mobile by the end of 2017 :D

Wish I had the metal work skills of faulksy - I have been jonesing after that fab ground board for ages now. Not to mention the mirror cell!!!

Was musing about utilising a washing machine spider but knowing the rubbish alloys used after taking an old one apart recently ...

57 minutes ago, estwing said:

What would be the best wood to use?

I used birch ply for my builds to date. However I have seen some laminate boards that look very nice indeed and am tempted to utilise them on a future build. Not sure I can recommend them as yet though they may be worth a look. 

Have a look matey

12 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

I used birch ply for my builds to date. However I have seen some laminate boards that look very nice indeed and am tempted to utilise them on a future build. Not sure I can recommend them as yet though they may be worth a look. 

Have a look matey

I've worked with this stuff before - it's not really suitable for the outside. It's shrink wrapped - you have to acclimatise it to where the finished product will be sited. More suited for internal furniture.

Birch ply ftw!

2 hours ago, Beulah said:

I've worked with this stuff before - it's not really suitable for the outside. It's shrink wrapped - you have to acclimatise it to where the finished product will be sited. More suited for internal furniture.

Wood rots and all ply de-laminates if left outside. It's the sealing or finish that prevents it. If correctly treated and sealed I see no issues. 

Archived