SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommended red light headtorch

Hello all

I'm sure people have asked this before but can anyone recommend a good red light headtorch that has red and white light. Preferably one that doesn't have to cycle through each function. In other words, one that selects either while or red at any one time  

Also, preferably one that I can buy online (amazon, eBay or such) as I'm in Ireland. Thanks very much folks

Barry

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. I've never found one. I was hoping to pick one up at the IAS in Warwickshire a few weeks ago, but no one seems to sell them.  

Stick a bit of red acetate on a conventional head torch maybe?  

1 minute ago, Linda said:

An army headlight. I found one once, that I use. I can swipe a red glas plate in front of the white light and then it gives red light without the risk of getting white light again.

Yes. Presumably that's  got a flat peice of glass in front of the light which makes adding a red filter easier. 

I had also  thought of adapting a red rear bicycle light into a head torch.  

5 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

That's  a marketing opportunity for someone. :)

It certainly could be, but only if the light source was not visible to other observers. Red light still hinders dark adaption when the light source is shone in someones eyes.

I have the Petzl Tikka Plus head torch. It has a two separate light outputs, one white and one red. The White has three brightness levels using multiple clicks to toggle between them. The Red light has two settings, one " normal" and one flashing, again multiple clicks to choose between them.
The clever bit , though is that to go from white to red you give a long press. If you then switch it off and then switch it it back on using a normal single "click" of the switch it goes back on to red. To get back to white you need another long press of the button switch.

This means that although you have only one button switch you do not suddenly lose your night sight by accidentally switching back to the very bright white light.

Pretzl head torches are not cheap but they are good bits of kit that do not fall apart or fail on you.  I have two. One I've had for 4 years  and is still good. The other (the Tikka +)  I've had for 18month and its still feels like new.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petzl-Tikka-Plus-Head-Lamp/dp/B00UAJ2GOO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478282499&sr=8-2&keywords=head%2Btorch%2Bpetzl%2Btikka&th=1&psc=1

4 hours ago, The Admiral said:

My wife has a Petzl E+LITE head light which allows switching to red from off, without going through white. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Ian

This is also what I use, highly versatile and does not get in the way, mine is an earlier version and has more substantial elastic, though I would not think that it should matter . The main criteria is that the one LED beam, that easily projects downwards by the swivel head is DIM. For extra back up I also have the Skywatcher duel beam hand torch (as mentioned), useful because you can regulate the light and has a useful neck cord though personally I prefer hands free. 

Extensively available to buy online, here is perhaps the cheapest I have seen it advertised.

http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/petzl-e-lite-ezx6629.html?utm_source=GoogleProductSearch&utm_medium=comparator&utm_campaign=GPS&gclid=CJqry6f4j9ACFQzhGwodTRYLDw

Just got back as thick clouds set in. Must say that I am quite happy with SW torch. Did what it was intended to do, neck cord is both good and bad - you won't lose it, but at the same time sometimes torch gets in the way, especially noticeable with small scope like mine (it's not what she says!!!) - dangling on the neck etc, but I can live with that.

14 hours ago, scarp15 said:

This is also what I use, highly versatile and does not get in the way, mine is an earlier version and has more substantial elastic, though I would not think that it should matter . The main criteria is that the one LED beam, that easily projects downwards by the swivel head is DIM. For extra back up I also have the Skywatcher duel beam hand torch (as mentioned), useful because you can regulate the light and has a useful neck cord though personally I prefer hands free. 

Extensively available to buy online, here is perhaps the cheapest I have seen it advertised.

http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/petzl-e-lite-ezx6629.html?utm_source=GoogleProductSearch&utm_medium=comparator&utm_campaign=GPS&gclid=CJqry6f4j9ACFQzhGwodTRYLDw

Thanks Iain, I've just ordered one for myself!

Ian

I've had a couple of red/white head torches. 

With one of them you had to cycle through white light to get to the red which is not ideal at all. The other had a switch if you slid it one way you got red, the other you got white - this was much better but I would often forget which way to slide it and would switch on the white instead.

Ideally we want a head torch that is only red, but I've never seen one so far.  I suppose it might be possible to physically disable the white LEDs in a combo head torch somehow.

I've had a couple of red/white head torches. 

With one of them you had to cycle through white light to get to the red which is not ideal at all. The other had a switch if you slid it one way you got red, the other you got white - this was much better but I would often forget which way to slide it and would switch on the white instead.

Ideally we want a head torch that is only red, but I've never seen one so far.  I suppose it might be possible to physically disable the white LEDs in a combo head torch somehow.

But if you wear a hood, head torch might be annoying too ;).

As for disabling white leds, just open the thing, take pcb out, few seconds with solder and job jobbed :D. Might even replace white LEDs with red, but at the same time, you could also buy cheapo red torch and save some time on messing about. 

Hi, I have a 'Summit' red/white head torch which has only once in a few years needed new batteries. White light is well focused in a moderate field of view. Red light is more dispersed but more than adequate.

Just a tip, you could also buy 3 rubber bound small red bicycle lights on ebay. I paid £1.99 each and attach them to the bottom of each tripod legs. These help me not to accidentally kick the legs as im moving about in the dark, hence no realigning risks.

John

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:43, scarp15 said:

I have 2 of these earlier versions as well but I found the red light was not powerful enough for setting up or reading things. OK for very close in work ( I used them for baiting hooks whilst night fishing) but not so good for wider vision.

9 hours ago, JG777 said:

I have 2 of these earlier versions as well but I found the red light was not powerful enough for setting up or reading things. OK for very close in work ( I used them for baiting hooks whilst night fishing) but not so good for wider vision.

That is precisely why I like this compact light, it will not impede on dark adaption. Personally I use it for when changing eye pieces and filters, so close up work. When I am reading charts I use a magnifying glass in conjunction with this light and if I am straining a little, I will also use as an addition my Skywatcher hand held torch, the light can be dimmed. I usually go observing solo, however on occasions when I am sharing a space with others, the last thing I would want is a glaring more powerful red beam from a head torch, even when the light is projected downwards. For night fishing perhaps as you imply a standard red light would be applicable since becoming fully dark adapted is not a requirement.

14 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

With the Petzl Tikka Plus can you adjust the angle of the torch?

Andy.

Yes,the Tikka + , like most Petzls (I think), has a head that can be angled up and down with a couple of click stops. Just to pick up on a comment from JG777, the Tikka + red light is not as bright as its white light, but the white light on its highest setting (with a good battery set, is very bright indeed. I do have a separate hand held red LED torch but its  a bit too bright so I find i use the Tikka for most things.

Archived