NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Lunt?

dazzaa1966

20 minutes ago, dazzaa1966 said:

I'm torn between the Lunt 80mm double stack or the Lunt 100mm SS (double up later). Any advice would be welcome. 

Thats a great thing to be torn between !  For me it would be the 100mm and DS later.   Mainly from reading around I understand 100mm is the minimal aperture to see spicules.

Aperture generally rules even with solar. Although often the seeing dictates that 80mm might be more than enough I'd sooner always have the additional aperture available. If you can afford a DS unit later then all the better. I love my 100mm PST mod.

I seem always to buy the minimum workable aperture (solar and imaging)
scopes - Then spend the equivalent (size increment) "upgrading" them? :p

I often wonder how different my Astronomy would have been, had I just
invested all this dosh and effort in buying larger apertures scopes? :o

Of course, H-Alpha adds the conundrum of double stacking... ;)

Just now, Davey-T said:

I think it's over 40lbs with the double stack.

Dave

So around 18 KG !?  That is going to need a good foundation :)  

I am already looking forward to dazzaa's 1st light report.  I need to start saving up again (not that I am :icon_mrgreen: with envy). 

Aperture is still king even with solar Ha. OK so you don't always get the full potential from a large aperture but when you do......!!!!!

I've seen spicules with a good PST under good conditions, with 150mm aperture you can see details in them.   :icon_biggrin:

32 minutes ago, dazzaa1966 said:

Dave i think that weight is with the case included.

Yes I think you're right as the quoted size appears to be the case.

Not very clear, it makes you wonder if these people ever look at their own web sites :grin:

Dave

I would suggest the 80mm for this country both foe seeing and easier to carry in and out with our limited opportunities here.

Case in point today set up focused and its clouded over, though I did expect it .I think I have 4 or 5 days this summer with long duration solar runs.

I've read online that  the double stacking unit of the 100 is prone to problems with internal reflections. The 80 with double stacking is the more consistent. I've looked through a 80mm single stack and it blew me away. For imaging it really is is spectacular unit. 

I'll be looking at one most likely some day

• 4 weeks later...

If im honest I wouldn't bother with a Lunt, grab a Quark & use any frac size you like, obviously adhering to filter size & safety first mind. Glad I bought my 152mm frac over a Lunt that's for sure.

Archived