Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BBC4 Tonight at 21:00 hrs: Britain's Star Men

John

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching this minute, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
These guys are no youngsters, but their age was no deterrent to some hard climbing towards the end.
Now it's Dr. Maggie  Aderyn-Pocock  Describing / Narrating, "Do We Really Need The Moon".

30 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

stairs at bedtime

I've got the stairs problem sorted - bungalow :D

Gosh, I remember the Hoyle talks, was it really '51, crumbs. I dont know if I should be depressed after seeing that and the state of Wilson and Palomar. :(

Hand ruled graph paper in the '60s ? someone was having legs pulled ?? I was plotting graphs then and could buy it in a shop down the road and some of it was fancy log. as well, what did I not see,  what was special about his ? In the brief bit I saw it looked pretty regular linear ??

Yes, I used graph paper in the 1960s too and in the fifties.  We had graph paper at school in the fifties!  There stuff on the program on now about the moon that I don't believe too!

35 minutes ago, Gina said:

Yes, I used graph paper in the 1960s too and in the fifties.  We had graph paper at school in the fifties!  There stuff on the program on now about the moon that I don't believe too!

Good, that makes two of us, so not a faulty memory this end :D

Yes, the old saw about the moon pulling the water upwards ? so there must be two moons , right? to do the pulling on the other side,,   amongst other things. Not a mention of a barycenter(re)

That must have been after the giant moon rising over the Eye ? I switched off after that.

I think I was still trying to decide if I was depressed after the Star Men :)  and worrying about my memory cos I could have swore that the 200" Palomar was (until recent ?) still in use/re-purposed to something that could still be done through the encroaching light pollution. I think a google is called for > > >

7 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

That must have been after the giant moon rising over the Eye ? I switched off after that.

I think I was still trying to decide if I was depressed after the Star Men :)  and worrying about my memory cos I could have swore that the 200" Palomar was (until recent ?) still in use/re-purposed to something that could still be done through the encroaching light pollution. I think a google is called for > > >

Don't think it was the Palomar scope they were saying closed because of light pollution but the first one they visited, Mount Wilson possibly ?

Dave

Anyway it's cloudy here so I'm going to climb those stairs now :grin:

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Don't think it was the Palomar scope they were saying closed because of light pollution but the first one they visited, Mount Wilson possibly ?

Dave

Thanks Dave, yes they did say that and yes the first one was Wilson, which got badly polluted some years ago but somehow I got the impression Palomar was also just as dilapidated.

I remember big campaigns being run to save Palomar from the lights and not to go the same way, and thought from the program that perhaps it had been lost.

I really enjoyed the program, apart from my jaw dropping looking at all those amazing telescopes I thought the story of old friends meeting up after so long was really great. A bit sad at the end. 

Yes how fit were they to do that trek to rainbow bridge, I would struggle at 40 with that especially in that kind of heat! 

Archived