SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cocoon Close Up

PatrickGilliland

Hi All

Here is a look at the Cocoon at a long FL.  My first attempt processing anything over 700mm.  C&C welcomed, lots learned in first pass so may have another go when time permits. 6hrs data on RCOS 14.5" based in New Mexico.  Tried to also pull some colour out from the surrounding dark nebulosity rather than it just being black.

Paddy

lrgb6.png

It's refreshing to see the Cocoon at this scale Paddy and naturally processed resisting the urge to overdo HDRWavelets and LHE in the centre of the nebula.  I especially llike the blue reflection nebula to the right and the faint and tenuous outer halo.  Great colour balance between stars and nebula too.  Is there a blue halo peaking in from the frame top left?

A lovely image overall with great data no doubt from a big scope under dark skies.  Top drawer!

Yes it's an impressive image scale that reveals a lot of detail not seen very often. I get the feeling that perhaps a little deconvolution on the Lum would crispen the detail even more but I appreciate not everyone looks for this kind of image and it can damage an otherwise smooth result. I'd be more than happy with the result you have already! :)

ChrisH

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

It's refreshing to see the Cocoon at this scale Paddy and naturally processed resisting the urge to overdo HDRWavelets and LHE in the centre of the nebula.  I especially llike the blue reflection nebula to the right and the faint and tenuous outer halo.  Great colour balance between stars and nebula too.  Is there a blue halo peaking in from the frame top left?

A lovely image overall with great data no doubt from a big scope under dark skies.  Top drawer!

Thanks Barry - i prepared a 'more processed version' but it looked too artificial, so a little LHE etc but just to create some subtle emphasis rather than alter the image.  On the blue yes there is something just out of frame impacting the image cropped out as much as i could afford.  Scope and location provide a distinct advantage but fun to have a look at.  Appreciate feedback as always.

26 minutes ago, Gina said:

Lovely :)

Thanks you Gina.

24 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Yes it's an impressive image scale that reveals a lot of detail not seen very often. I get the feeling that perhaps a little deconvolution on the Lum would crispen the detail even more but I appreciate not everyone looks for this kind of image and it can damage an otherwise smooth result. I'd be more than happy with the result you have already! :)

ChrisH

I did run a convolution and this is a 'note to self' for next time when I plan to use a little stronger.  Was not sure what end results would be at this scale so did not want to push too much too early.  Aimed to bring out some detail and keep natural but will be a little more generous next time.  Also not a full data set as yet but fancied a little experimenting so may return to when completed.

19 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Lovely fov but the range of colours in this shot is just beautiful ...really like this shot

Thanks for the feedback Peter.

Cheers all, Paddy

15 hours ago, RichLD said:

Too right! Gorgeous shot!

Thanks

14 hours ago, theo said:

I really like this image Paddy and great colour. Oh to have those dark New Mexico skies!!

Pete

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Beautiful colour and detail.

As you live in Worcs and the scope is in New Mexico, I presume this is a remote set up.  

Carole 

29 minutes ago, johnrt said:

Great result, those dark skies really make a difference when it comes to picking up that dust.

Yes dark skies really do help - I will be moving more gear offshore as well with two set ups going out to Spain later this year early next.  Made the decision that if i want to be able to use the gear i have spent many £1k's on keeping it in UK is not really viable.  I have one set up here and always will as nice to keep hands on.  The dark skies are a bonus of course but actually just having clear skies and being able to acquire data is the reason.  Here in UK don't think i have got up to 30 fully clear nights yet this year.  Not only on the westerly cloud track here but also have some local phenomenon with many hills that mean often i am cloudy or hazy when a few miles down the road it can be clear.  Once the spend went over £10k that seemed like a lot of waste to me.  With modern software the remote side is viable (so long as you have someone knowledgeable keeping an eye on it all).  Will still persevere with one UK set up.  No fun if there is nothing at all to grumble about :) .

12 hours ago, Dbswales said:

Wow, that's something else!! Beautiful, beautiful image. Very well done. Those colours are just awesome.

Thanks for the feedback.

11 hours ago, laudropb said:

Very nice image Paddy.

Thanks for comments.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Wonderful image. Will you be going for more detail in the faint (dark) nebula surrounding the cocoon?

Yes, RGB is finished but only 1/3rd through Lum data - got bored so thought i would have a look.  Even is NM they have a wet season so little to process for a while.   Will have another look once data is availabel.

Thanks All

Paddy

I'm a fan as well, Paddy. I really like the small reflection nebula on the right, often rather overlooked. I wonder if it might be a tad green but perhaps it has OIII signal as well as blue. Great to see the browns of the outlying dust.

I can quite understand your robotic project.

Olly

16 hours ago, wimvb said:

Taking a rig abroad is probably the way to go if you've invested heavily in AP.

Good luck with your remote set up.

Thanks Wim - On the plus side will get a few weekends away in Spain as well so can't be bad :) 

12 hours ago, morimarty said:

A lovely close up of the cocoon and very well processed!

Thank you.

12 hours ago, Rodd said:

This scale is awesome.  Can't wait to shoot it as well.  I think the detail is great--some of the dust might be a little to reddish?  just a thought.  Well done

40 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm a fan as well, Paddy. I really like the small reflection nebula on the right, often rather overlooked. I wonder if it might be a tad green but perhaps it has OIII signal as well as blue. Great to see the browns of the outlying dust.

I can quite understand your robotic project.

Olly

Yes i wondered that on both versions, here is another version with a little less red (calibrated colour a little, originally was concerned about losing the dust but with fresh eyes i do not think that is the case), on the blue was aiming for teal maybe a little to green when such a small detail. 

lrgb10.png

11 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Lovely shot Paddy.

Tom

Thanks for the feedback tom - all appreciated.

Paddy

2 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Thanks Wim - On the plus side will get a few weekends away in Spain as well so can't be bad :) 

Thank you.

Yes i wondered that on both versions, here is another version with a little less red (calibrated colour a little, originally was concerned about losing the dust but with fresh eyes i do not think that is the case), on the blue was aiming for teal maybe a little to green when such a small detail. 

lrgb10.png

Thanks for the feedback tom - all appreciated.

Paddy

I do prefer that colour balance. Splendid.

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I do prefer that colour balance. Splendid.

Olly

Thanks Olly - so do i now eyes are refreshed (+ don't laugh, first image now i have the glasses, had to concede that glasses are now required!  But what looks in focus with them off and on is all to confusing for me.  Long sighted and the monitor distance is right where the close objects go out of focus.  Will end up with whiplash if i keep moving my head back and forth! this much!)

Colours seems better now I agree.

Paddy

Archived