Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Street lamps driving me crazy

Knighty2112

......don't come out!
Whatever we try, something will affect the outcome.
When I use the Dob (Utility) tent, It has an overcoat to ensure its really dark in there, no red lights, no phones or screen, all done by touch? Its the best isolation I can achieve.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about buying a cheap gazebo?

The one we got from argos had 3 solid sides and a separate roof section. Nothing to stop you putting it up without the roof on and leaving a couple of the side panels attached to black out unwanted street lamps. Benefit us that's it's a one man 5 minute job to take down and slide into its bag.

37 minutes ago, nicks90 said:

What about buying a cheap gazebo?

The one we got from argos had 3 solid sides and a separate roof section. Nothing to stop you putting it up without the roof on and leaving a couple of the side panels attached to black out unwanted street lamps. Benefit us that's it's a one man 5 minute job to take down and slide into its bag.

I looked at those, however I need to make something to a certain size to be able to move it down a narrow side passage between the fence and next doors garden so I can access both the front and back garden quite easily without having to strip it down in any way, so the maximum width I plan to use is going to be just smaller than the gap down the side of my house here, 

Managed this weekend to get all the tubing and joints that I require for my little project. Set up the framework only first off in my front room and used the full height of the 2 metres high tubing, and 2 metres long also on the left & right and side, and on the front part set it up as 1.3 metres wide only. After assembly the structure was not as stable as I thought it would be, and kept tipping over at the top, so now need to look at some simple wooden braces to fit to the lower corners of the structure to stop this tipping. Looking initially to put one brace each at the bottom back of the two side left & right, and two at the front end of the structure to stop movement left or right, which is where it was tipping mostly and not from front to back. I was considering perhaps using some guy ropes like for a tent, but want to see if I can make it much stabler first with the braces that I intend to fit first.

Watch this space................ :) 

Also meant to say I probably will drop the height down a little, and also the side length too as a full 2 metres here is really too much, so most likely limit the side length to around 1.7 metres, and the height somewhere between 1.8 or 1.7 metres and see how that goes. :) 

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Managed this weekend to get all the tubing and joints that I require for my little project. Set up the framework only first off in my front room and used the full height of the 2 metres high tubing, and 2 metres long also on the left & right and side, and on the front part set it up as 1.3 metres wide only. After assembly the structure was not as stable as I thought it would be, and kept tipping over at the top, so now need to look at some simple wooden braces to fit to the lower corners of the structure to stop this tipping. Looking initially to put one brace each at the bottom back of the two side left & right, and two at the front end of the structure to stop movement left or right, which is where it was tipping mostly and not from front to back. I was considering perhaps using some guy ropes like for a tent, but want to see if I can make it much stabler first with the braces that I intend to fit first.

Watch this space................ :) 

This is very interesting. Do you happen to have some pictures of the project that you might want to share?

34 minutes ago, Cinco Sauces said:

This is very interesting. Do you happen to have some pictures of the project that you might want to share?

I will post some pictures when I've done some more work with the braces and attached them, as as yet there will be little to see except some floppy pipes! ;)

Most likely not get a chance to do any further work on this for a couple of weeks due to work, and other commitments, but will update this further (with pictures too) when I've done some more work. :) 

Just now, Knighty2112 said:

I will post some pictures when I've done some more work with the braces and attached them, as as yet there will be little to see except some floppy pipes! ;)

Most likely not get a chance to do any further work on this for a couple of weeks due to work, and other commitments, but will update this further (with pictures too) when I've done some more work. :) 

Fine, thanks! Looking forward to see how your project progresses. I have comparable problems and your solution might also solve them :icon_biggrin:

Good luck!

On 09/04/2016 at 11:08, Knighty2112 said:

After looking at tent poles they were not really suitable for what I wanted to do, and some that may have been where way too expensive, so settled for the B & Q option of using 40mm UPV piping which are 2 metres in length, with assorted joints to link it together. Only bought enough so far to make up a front panel only to test how good it will go together, but as the joint parts push on very tightly (it is for waste water anyway so will be pretty tight) it should work out Ok I think. Early days yet (I've still got to receive the black back cloth I've ordered anyway), so I'll update this as I go along. :) 

image.jpeg

Great idea. Just realised I've got some left over damp proof membrane. Maybe I can do the same thing.

Steve

Archived