SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking at getting a light pollution filter, for my camera as I'm in a bortle  5 area and not currently using any filters. 

I've been looking around and the clip in filters are way out of budget, for now, so I've been looking at the Hoya filters and the red intensity filters. Then I saw these from Globe  (Link Below), and thought maybe it's too good to be true? All those filters for the price of one Hoya? 

Has anyone used these before what do you think? 

https://mygobe.com/uk/52mm-collection-filter-kit-1peak.html?fbclid=IwAR3Uqu_TDPx-uxun3SGnDl8CqFQ-8kGgooW62Ux3gSNJ9PitQJj1RQn3_NY

Also they are all daytime filters...so as @PeterCPC has already said, not sure how they will help at all... :) you need a dedicated LP filter, and these can be found cheaper, either from the secondhand market (check out ebay as there is a couple on there ATM) or maybe a not so well known brand, (sky’s the limit) which will still do a far better job than any of the ones you linked too...

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi

Clip filter -so too cls and IDAS screw in- over budget. Nikon so 52mm (?). So, one of these  and one of these should do it.

HTH and clear skies.

Hmmm, good idea but maybe a bit too cheap, at least one with IR cut would be needed I would have thought, as the OP is imaging..... :)

Edit: actually no you are correct as he has an unmodded camera so still has the IR cut in camera... 

19 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Hmmm, good idea but maybe a bit too cheap, at least one with IR cut would be needed I would have thought, as the OP is imaging..... :)

Edit: actually no you are correct as he has an unmodded camera so still has the IR cut in camera... 

Even if modded, is there still not a retained IR filter at 750nm, unless this in Canon only?

4 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

I can't see how that would help with light pollution. If you are in an area with sodium lights then something like a CLS filter would be helpful. If you are in an area with LED lights then the IDAS D2 would help.

Peter

Thanks, @PeterCPCI hadn't realized they didn't work for night time.  The IDAS is out of budget, as is the CLS filter.  unless  I can find one on the second-hand market as @LightBucketsuggested.  @alacant that's a great suggestion and much cheaper than here in uk (£95 here) although it says it can take 30 days to deliver... so I might go with the suggestion by @LightBucket :) 

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Even if modded, is there still not a retained IR filter at 750nm, unless this in Canon only?

If it’s a canon camera with the “normal” Astro mod, then one filter is left in the camera which has very good IR cut, hence only the need for a CLS and not the CLS CCD which has IR cut..if it is a full spectrum mod then both filters are removed and then youmwould need the CLS CCD filter so you still retain IR cut.. :)

So all that being said..yes you are correct, @tooth_dr :) 

1 hour ago, Leon-Fleet said:

Thanks, @PeterCPCI hadn't realized they didn't work for night time.  The IDAS is out of budget, as is the CLS filter.  unless  I can find one on the second-hand market as @LightBucketsuggested.  @alacant that's a great suggestion and much cheaper than here in uk (£95 here) although it says it can take 30 days to deliver... so I might go with the suggestion by @LightBucket :) 

I would go for the one I suggested, as they are very good and get good reviews...but is from China so will take a couple of weeks, but in my experience it’s usually quicker.... :)

• 1 month later...

After much deliberation, I decided not to buy twice and just get a clip in filter, but frustratingly I can't find one for Nikon Cameras, specifically my trusty D90. 

does anyone know if someone makes them and where I can get my hands on one? 

Archived