Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope Cover - Water off a Ducks Back

Hi all,

Having just started out with my telescope (and still awaiting some decent clear skies for a decent play!), I wanted to find a sensible dust cover, come protective rain/shower cover, for storage inside while not being used, and as an emergency cover-up when outside. In particular, I wanted a suitable dust cover for indoors.

I found all the usual expensive options, plus a lot of recommendations, but none for me seemed to fit the bill, though I am sure there are others out there. However, being a boaty kind of person, I have used over the past few years the "Ducksback" outboard engine covers during winter storage. These, as it happens, are the ideal thing, and after checking out the sizes, the Size 5 80 to 150HP outboard engine size cover is just perfect for a Skywatcher Skyhawk 500mm 1145P! And it costs just £11.80!

Here are the details if it helps anyone else...

To quote, they are "waterproof, UV resistant, breathable,300 denier 6oz polyester material, drawstring closure with toggle fastening for easy fit". They come in a range of sizes, and without wishing to be seen as advertising them, I don't think they have cottoned on to these covers being great for telescopes yet! The full range (in either silver or blue), covers dimensions for all sizes 1 to 7 (length 90cm x width 60cm x height 80cm). They are floppy and easily accommodate strange telescope shapes. You can check them out or buy at:

https://ducksback.co.uk/?product=outboard-engine-cowl-cover-silver

Or buy easily on eBay as I did.

Hope helps,
Clive

telescope-cover-ducksback.jpg

I found that a canvas garden chair cover worked a treat for covering my Losmandy G8 and G11. The electronics never got wet! I tied the cover around the pier with a cord and it lasted for year after year. £8.50 from my local garden centre! :icon_biggrin:

Hi Clive,

I spent a while looking for a cover for my ED80 that wouldn't break the bank and settled on a simple bicycle cover that I found on Ebay for about £2. It did the job perfectly well while at SGL last year (too soon the say that for 2017?....) although was very flimsy and easy to damage. The outboard motor cover looks like a very good idea, and I will look at them myself, proves we don't need to break the bank to protect our scopes :D cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

True, you do not need to break the bank for a cover, but a good cover does cost. A little warning is in place here, though: The thin covers you are talking about do not prevent rapid temperature changes under the cover. Those rapid changes promote dew forming under the cover very easily and damage the mount and it's electronics in a sneaky way.
The best covers that can withstand all conditions are not really cheap and even they need a little inside heating to prevent damage in the long run.

http://www.astrogizmos.com/Cover.htm and http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_t365.htm

A pair of skibootheaters under the cover keeps the inside temperature above dewpoint for protection against getting wet.
re-usable desiccant packs work too.

I use a chimnea cover for mine I think the brand is Oxford.  Mind you I don't store mine outside, but I think the cover would sport a few days use outside if I needed it to.  The outboard covers look lovely.

Archived