Hello :)

PinkNinja

Hi

Whilst searching online for information on astronomy and first telescopes I came across a lot of great information from this forum so I have decided to join.

I finally bought my first telescope last week and was able to use it on the first day due to lovely clear skies.  I only used the 25mm eyepiece and wasn't looking for anything in particular but was enjoying the sheer number of stars I could see.  I did see a satellite go across (at least, that's what I think it was) which was rather exciting for a newbie.  The kids enjoyed looking too and we spent some time constellation spotting without the scope.  I'm looking forward to another clear night so I can get out again and look for something specific and use my other eyepieces.

I have a Skymax 127 on EQ 3-2 mount with the stock eyepieces (10mm and 25mm) and a BST explorer ED 12mm.  I also have 'Turn Left at Orion' which is proving to be a great resource.  I think my next purchase will be a 32mm plossl of some kind and later an 8mm eyepiece for those nights of good seeing, although please say if I should be concentrating on something else first.

I have been an enthusiastic amateur photographer for many years so I imagine astrophotography will feature at some point in the future but for now I just want to concentrate on visual observation.

If you have any tips or advice please feel free to pass them on.  They will be greatly appreciated :smile:

Carolyn

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Carolyn and welcome to SGL. The folks on here are extremely friendly and very helpful, enjoy your stay!

One word of warning though, once you step into the dark side of astrophotography there's no turning back...:grin:

All the best

Rich

Not sure if relevent but there are clubs on Letchworth and Hertford (the Hertford one is somewhere close to Hertford, it seems to have relocated a bit).

If you are N. Herts then there is a club at St Neots, also one at Cambridge. As best I can tell nothing in East Herts - bit of a vacuum there. To the West is Bedford and one that meets on the road into Luton. There is an observatory there, think the name beginds with "P" but I get mixed up with the village of Puckridge. One day I will write the location down.

"Problem" with Herts is that it is from Tring to Bishops Stortford and Biggleswade/Royston down to Watford/Borehamwood. Covers a fairly big area.

6 minutes ago, ronin said:

Not sure if relevent but there are clubs on Letchworth and Hertford (the Hertford one is somewhere close to Hertford, it seems to have relocated a bit).

If you are N. Herts then there is a club at St Neots, also one at Cambridge. As best I can tell nothing in East Herts - bit of a vacuum there. To the West is Bedford and one that meets on the road into Luton. There is an observatory there, think the name beginds with "P" but I get mixed up with the village of Puckridge. One day I will write the location down.

"Problem" with Herts is that it is from Tring to Bishops Stortford and Biggleswade/Royston down to Watford/Borehamwood. Covers a fairly big area.

Thanks Ronin

I am fairly near Letchworth so that would be very handy.

I had forgotten that there is an observatory at Bayfordbury near Hertford (I did some of my PGCE sessions there) but I don't know if there is a club that meets there.  I shall have a look though.  It would be a good site and worth the somewhat hairy drive!

Welcome to SGL. If you want to get into astro photography and you have a DSLR, a short focal length lens and a tripod, you could start with some 30second images at ISO 1600 of the Milky Way (no telescope required) riding high in the sky at the moment.  Download DeepskyStacker freeware off the Internet (tutorials for use readily available) and you will soon have some interesting photos to kick start an obsessive hobby. My grandchildren enjoy photographing the moon and this is an excellent first subject for through the scope photography.  In the meantime enjoy your observing there's plenty to see! 

Best regards from Lowestoft

1 minute ago, Hawksmoor said:

Welcome to SGL. If you want to get into astro photography and you have a DSLR, a short focal length lens and a tripod, you could start with some 30second images at ISO 1600 of the Milky Way (no telescope required) riding high in the sky at the moment.  Download DeepskyStacker freeware off the Internet (tutorials for use readily available) and you will soon have some interesting photos to kick start an obsessive hobby. My grandchildren enjoy photographing the moon and this is an excellent first subject for through the scope photography.  In the meantime enjoy your observing there's plenty to see! 

Best regards from Lowestoft

Thanks for that!  I will have to give that a try and see what I get.  I have taken a few pictures of the moon before with a lot of trial and error!  It is deceptively bright when full or nearly full.  I've never tried the Milky Way though.  Here's hoping for some clear skies tonight :)

Hi Carolyn and welcome to SGL, nice scope the 127 Mak with its long focal length, by all accounts you will also have your children to share with you the enjoyment of observing. Involving the family in locating the Constellations can be very rewarding, perhaps a pair of binoculars, tripod mounted for them to use, together with some star maps, may provide further encouragement. After that, finding your way about the night sky should not pose any problems, enjoy the forum :) 

16 minutes ago, glowjet said:

Hi Carolyn and welcome to SGL, nice scope the 127 Mak with its long focal length, by all accounts you will also have your children to share with you the enjoyment of observing. Involving the family in locating the Constellations can be very rewarding, perhaps a pair of binoculars, tripod mounted for them to use, together with some star maps, may provide further encouragement. After that, finding your way about the night sky should not pose any problems, enjoy the forum :) 

I have two planispheres (one for them and one for me) which I have shown my daughter how to use.  She can point out the summer triangle (although insists on calling it the 'Bermuda triangle') and a couple of constellations.  A pair of binoculars would be a great idea.  I have a tripod for my camera so that shouldn't be too difficult to set up.  Looks like I have quite a few items on my wish list already!

Great tips.  Thanks :)

Hello Carolyn and welcome to SGL :)

+1 for buying the 32mm. Yours is a long focal-length telescope and many objects benefit from low power magnification (the Orion Nebula for eg), so a 32mm or more will be a great benefit. Joining a club will be a real bonus for you and the kids, the other members should help to guide you around the sky and advise on future purchases (if the club is any good).

Hi Carolyn and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us..... you noticed that all searches seem to lead here :D Astrophotography is rather different to daytime photography, and many fall into the trap that it must be similar (myself included) ..... There's a few of us imagers knocking about, so if you need anything just shout!!

Look forward to seeing you around :)

1 minute ago, swag72 said:

Hi Carolyn and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us..... you noticed that all searches seem to lead here :D Astrophotography is rather different to daytime photography, and many fall into the trap that it must be similar (myself included) ..... There's a few of us imagers knocking about, so if you need anything just shout!!

Look forward to seeing you around :)

From the reading I have done, I gather astrophotography is quite different and can be rather difficult to start with.  I do like a challenge but I think getting to know the skies and my scope is a good idea first.

Out of interest (once I'm ready for AP) would you recommend using my DSLR or is it better to save my pennies for a suitable webcam ?  I know where to come when I am ready to take the plunge :D

AP is different. Easy way of looking at it is in "photography" you take one exposure of say 1/250 second and almost there it is in front of you. Will say that in "photography" you usually have to find the subject, wildlife or a landscape you have to find it. With AP I know where Orion/M42 is going to be (clouds permitting).

In AP you take say 10 exposures of 60 seconds each and the object is moving, so you have to track it accurately. Then you take theose 10 exposures and stack one on the other (consider it adding them together) then at the end you may have a picture. Generally there is some more process in to be done.

Minimum equipment is sort of: Decent equitoral mount with motors but preferably goto. Scope needs to be one aimed at AP - usually smallish and "fast". You can happily start with a DSLR - most do then if they get serious consider a dedicated camera of one sort or another.

To an extent choose where you start. About a year ago there was a "starter" pack of an iOptron SmartEQ and a WO Zenithstar 71. From visiting the people at Sidmouth I suspect that an EQ5 and the ZS71 is a better idea - the EQ5 can handle a bit more weight, but is thereofre itself heavier. The EQ5 should handle an 80mm without trouble. Personally I would get something like the iOptron CEM25. Each one is a step up but also a step up in cost.

Best option is to consider the 2 areas as different, in effect do not get a good visual setup and then expect it to be a good imaging one. It can be but the criteria diverge.

15 minutes ago, ronin said:

In AP you take say 10 exposures of 60 seconds each and the object is moving, so you have to track it accurately. Then you take theose 10 exposures and stack one on the other (consider it adding them together) then at the end you may have a picture. Generally there is some more process in to be done.

Macro photography often requires something similar in order to get a decent depth of focus whilst retaining fast enough shutter speeds.  Several exposures focused at slightly different points are then stacked to achieve an image in which most of the subject (e.g. an insect) is in focus.  Again, this is very different from 'normal' photography.  I don't have much experience of that either though.

18 minutes ago, ronin said:

To an extent choose where you start. About a year ago there was a "starter" pack of an iOptron SmartEQ and a WO Zenithstar 71. From visiting the people at Sidmouth I suspect that an EQ5 and the ZS71 is a better idea - the EQ5 can handle a bit more weight, but is thereofre itself heavier. The EQ5 should handle an 80mm without trouble. Personally I would get something like the iOptron CEM25. Each one is a step up but also a step up in cost.

It sounds like this could become a rather expensive hobby :D  I guess it's going to be a case of gradually upgrading and adding to my equipment.  I imagine a small refractor would be a good idea at some point in the future anyway, especially for travelling or wider views, and eventually an upgrade to a good EQ5 mount.  I am going to have to be patient!

Thanks for all the information.  It is certainly a steep learning curve!

Add my welcome to everyone else's, Carolyn.

I can't help at all with AP (may the gods treat you with clemency ?) but loads of Loungers can. You have noted already that it could be an expensive hobby but you seem to have the right attitude about taking your time.?  It's also great that you have your children involved.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Archived