Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Clear Outside has been pretty rubbish recently, though it's giving me so clear skies for tonight - think I'll have a session in the back garden, as it was glorious last night and I didn't go out; was woken up at 4:30am with a poorly little boy, it was still glorious, and what did i see? Old faithful Orion :)

I've lost a bit of enthusiasm at the moment, after 3 not very good sessions at Winscar. I'm sure it'll come back soon and i'll get at cracking session out there soon.

43 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Yeah, Clear Outside has been pretty rubbish recently, though it's giving me so clear skies for tonight - think I'll have a session in the back garden, as it was glorious last night and I didn't go out; was woken up at 4:30am with a poorly little boy, it was still glorious, and what did i see? Old faithful Orion :)

I've lost a bit of enthusiasm at the moment, after 3 not very good sessions at Winscar. I'm sure it'll come back soon and i'll get at cracking session out there soon.

I was saying the same to Vicky the other night Lee. It's the start of the season and things will get better.

Orion I'll have to find that one :grin:

29 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Scope is outside on the patio cooling at present so fingers crossed. Pointless venturing out too far with the DLB being full. 

Just set up on the patio, Moon or no Moon I need the practice ha ha 

eric 

Just in and been out since 10pm.

Sky not brilliant but managed quite a few objects.

Andromeda first and I tried to find G1 globular but no such luck.

Next NGC6804 in Aquilla best seen with the OIII filter in I could make out the central star and fuzzy outer shell.

Delphinius next and a faint globular cluster NGC6934 which I had to step up in mag to the 4.7E to resolve the core stars. Nice little find.

I carried on south to Aquarius and found the saturn Neb NGC 7009 but being low it was quite a blurred image although with a blue hint.  I also went onto M73 open cluster whilst there but try as I might I couldn't see M72.

M2 and M15 globs looked great.

Back to cygnus and the cooling tower   M29. Also M39 and NGC 6910 open cluster.

Again in Cygnus was NGC 7026 the cheeseburger neb best with OIII filter. There is a star close by so it makes it easy to find.

Lastly was M39 open cluster by whicb time I called it a night and packed up.

The moon was full on and blinding  

Sounds good damian, ive just got back in myself. had a few successes, i was mostly testing out the dmk camera tonight mostly due to the dlb been so bright.

i managed m31, m57, the Moon :)  ncg6826 blinking planetry nebula, dumbbell nebula but that didnt really come out tonight. M13, m92.

It was nice that I had some coal burning in the chimnea, nice and toasty warm :) 

had a nice evening out in the garden. Was pretty warm out but need a coat by the end.

the moon was so bright that I could read my notes without a torch and I couldn't see the hercules keystone, so finding M13 wasn't happening.

after following a thread on double stars I thought they would be good to try and get my mojo back, so found about half a dozen and did a bit of sketching on them - I'll post them up when I get back home.

my session was ended because all my eyepieces steamed up, I put them inside to dry out, but as soon as they were back in the focuser and looking through them, they went again. Oh well, got a couple of hours of reasonably productive session, so I'm happy.

now, how am I getting on with reaching 1000 posts?

14 minutes ago, rockystar said:

had a nice evening out in the garden. Was pretty warm out but need a coat by the end.

the moon was so bright that I could read my notes without a torch and I couldn't see the hercules keystone, so finding M13 wasn't happening.

after following a thread on double stars I thought they would be good to try and get my mojo back, so found about half a dozen and did a bit of sketching on them - I'll post them up when I get back home.

my session was ended because all my eyepieces steamed up, I put them inside to dry out, but as soon as they were back in the focuser and looking through them, they went again. Oh well, got a couple of hours of reasonably productive session, so I'm happy.

now, how am I getting on with reaching 1000 posts?

Good stuff Lee

With the moon being up it wasnt the best of nights to be out. I tried several targets where even the big light bucket couldnt pull out the faint object's like galaxies.

1k posts you'll be catching our top poster Vicky up! 

1 hour ago, Mark62 said:

i have something belonging to you Damian. 

I had my star chart book out last night and your field of view ring fell out of it. 

I was looking for that last night Mark and wondered where it had disappeared to? Thanks not an expensive item but makes life a damn sight easier 

Oi you lot! You'll never catch up with me lol ;)

Damian and Lee - lovely reading your reports and good to hear that a few of us got out last night. The Moon certainly was bright and made viewing very difficult.

I had to make a trip over to see Gain last night as my APT programme crashed whilst I was imaging on Friday night and I was struggling getting it working again. Had to uninstall and reinstall it yesterday and then test it worked again before heading out to get set up properly. Fortunately, APT worked perfectly last night. However, I had issues with PHD auto guiding not calibrating the Dec properly. Fortunately, I had Gain's experience at hand and he successfully got it working and guiding successfully.

Targeted M27 The Dumbbell Nebula as it was a fairly bright target with an almost full moon washing out the sky. Ended up with 16 useable subs as I lost a few whilst we were sorting out the guiding issues. Managed exposures ranging from 300 seconds to 420 seconds with no trailing, which I was really pleased with.

Had a quick look at my subs this morning and did a quick stack in DSS using the best 75%. Just cropped the image down by about 50% as I was only using the ED80 with a FL of just 500mm. 

Will have a proper look later and see if I can play around with levels and curves to bring out any more detail. I'm looking forward to Gary Palmer's course next Saturday when I will hopefully learn a few processing skills.

For the time being here is my image of M27 as it came out of DSS, cropped to centre the object :)

image.jpg

42 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Nice image Vicky well done. Glad you got everything sorted. Its looking nice out again 

Thanks D! Yes, finally seemed to get sorted, but it shows that there are so many things that can just go wrong for no apparent reason. Looks lovely again today. Don't know if it'll last until tonight, but the moon will still be bright. Might get the scope out though if it's clear. Got to be done, hasn't it? :)

Well, i guess id better put up a couple of images that i took with my dmk planetary camera last night.  Last nights exercise was more to get to grips with tracking really as my scope with this camera has a very small field of view, so getting the objects into view can be 'tricky' but I cracked it last night and was able to slew to objects without having to remove the camera to find them visually first.

Objects are, Dumbell nebula, M13,M31,M57, M92

As I say, more of a practice and the camera is not meant for deep sky objects, thats my excuse anyway!! :)

DUMBELL_0001.png

M13_0001.png

m31_0002.png

m57_0007.png

M92_0002.png

Archived