Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

Tell me about it D! Pfft.

Going to give it another half an hour whilst I have a cuppa then call it a night. Finally found NCG 6960 The Western Veil Nebula on my tiny CCD chip but I'm not getting good focus. I'll grab a few more images whilst I've got it in the FOV but I'm not expecting much to be honest. Was going to try my h-alpha filter but it's not worth it tonight. Shame really, but it's not meant to be. *sigh*

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, think were all feeling a bit low after tonight. Totally beaten by the western veil. Guiding chucking a wobbly. Can't seem to get focus right. Turned my CCD onto M31 to try to grab a few quick subs. Guiding says it's working, and the graph is OK, but it's still not great. Getting slight trailing. Not my night tonight. Going to pack the gear away and hope it plays ball at Kelling.

Set up to do some imaging and seemed to be having various issues with mount/software/power so couldn't really get started. Chris had popped around so we went inside for a cuppa and I soldered his mount cable connector for him. Refreshed we headed back outside, but it looks like I've got a loose wire somewhere in my power distribution box which meant the mount kept losing the connection and all the sync info. Packed everything away but frustratingly it's still clear here.

Well I went out for 2 hours, set up ,  Alignment & Tracking were as near perfect as I have had them, focus was quite reasonable too, went for 5 targets and hit them all bang in the middle of the chip first attempt !!! ( was I impressed with myself ha ha ) (apart from NGC 7635 Bubble Nebula which was too high, my Camera with the extension would have hit the mount).

Will have a look later at what I actually got the best shot of as I took around half dozen each of : M101 Pinwheel Galaxy, M13 Great Cluster in Hercules, M33 Triangulum Galaxy , the Owl Nebula is a bit low at the moment but I did manage a bit of an image.

Eric

6 hours ago, astrotyke said:

Finally printing your moon images then Damian :) Shame I cant help you, I used to work for a printers up till last year.

Not exactly chris but it was on my mind ha ha 

20160918_003607.jpg

I suppose this isn't too bad for a smart phone through a 21mm eyepiece.

No the images are for a name plate printed on ally. It was how to get a specific size on 10"x8" as this is their minimum print size ally.

Sorry D, I don't really know anything about printing. Hippie you get sorted.

Shame about your technical issues Matt. Fingers crossed you get those sorted soon and that you get up and running producing some fabulous images.

Superb images there Eric! Particularly like the two galaxies - M101 and M33. Amazing job. I've not tried either of those target. You've given me some inspiration. Love the ghostly Owl nebula. Excellent for Hallowe'en with those eyes looking at toy6 from the darkness LOL :)

I had a look at my subs from last night but i6n struggling with the processing today. DSS is not playing and it's putting black dots in all my stars??? Going to have another look later after dinner and see what I can get. I ended up with subs of M27 The Dumbbell, NGC6960 The Western Veil and M31, but I'm not sure how much detail I'll get out of them to be honest. Focusing was a nightmare :(

Holy smoke, what is the world coming to- I don't know. UK voting for Brexit, Donald Trump possibly the next president of the US of A and now Damian taking up Astro imaging. Not only that he has been imaging the DLB?????

Damian, I look forward to seeing your imaging rig at Galloway ?

12 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Holy smoke, what is the world coming to- I don't know. UK voting for Brexit, Donald Trump possibly the next president of the US of A and now Damian taking up Astro imaging. Not only that he has been imaging the DLB?????

Damian, I look forward to seeing your imaging rig at Galloway ?

Haha, I was thinking exactly the same! 

Think someone ought to call round and just make sure he's OK.

Check for that green pod under his bed as he may have been taken by the body snatchers LOL ;)

16 hours ago, mapstar said:

I was going to say the same. Reminds me of how M51 looks through my scope. Great images 

To be honest Damian, I thought M51 at Winscar in your scope was absolutely stunning the night I saw it

Archived