Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Knighty2112

Finally finished my az3 modification

Phew! Finally finished off my az3 mod to add some weight/s to the front end of the scope. Just finished attaching it to the scope, and tested it out with my heaviest load with the 2" diagonal & the Meade 40mm EP which weighs a ton on it own (combined weight just over 1.7kg). Works even at the highest point the scope can go and winds down OK with two weights fitted. When the scope is horizontal the weights are clear of the legs still, so no issues to move it around left or right. For most EPs etc I think just one weight will suffice, but it is easy peasy to add the second one if needed. Now, bring on the clear skies! ;)

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice mod.

How's vibration? I can imaging that adding weight to the thin metal that hold the counter weight could cause it to vibrate.

10 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Nice mod.

How's vibration? I can imaging that adding weight to the thin metal that hold the counter weight could cause it to vibrate.

Not sure on that yet as I have to get it out under the skies yet. Hoping that it will kept to a minimum, but I'll report back after I've used it a while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Very nice !

Thanks. It will make using the mount at higher viewing angles much better, especially with some heavier EP's or with the binoviewers I've got, so looking for a vast improvement. :) 

Managed to have a few hours observing with the new weight mod I added on. Works extremely well once the balance point is reached. There is some very slight vibration that occurs when moving the mount up and down with the slow mo controls on the stand, but this is very minimal and damping down happens very quickly. If moved at normal speed when tracking an object in view then it is hardly noticible really. So, all in all pretty pleased with the mod.

Will be picking up a second hand Skytee mount tomorrow, so this mount now more than likely won't be used too often as long as the Skytee works out OK, but a handy mount to keep none the less me thinks. :) 

Edited by Knighty2112

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By astrorg
      Hello
      I have been away from this forum from possibly July - I never find a lot of time to do anything these days, same to be able to relax reading and interacting Astronomy forums.
      I asked here a few ideas about making a solar scope or modifying whatever I had and I was recommended to also see Solar Chat Forums and I did.
      Thanks to solarchatforums I have been able to do something decent and here is what I have done so far - very slowly!
      1. I purchased a second hand PST and replaced its ITF with Maier one from the US and it finally had a clear image coming through + moved Etalon screw to third position - all the usual thing everybody does [after I researched it]!
      2. used a new SCT screw-on short focuser [used once or twice on a LX200 R Classic] and using Teflon tape I screwed the PST Etalon to the focuser and purchased a 2" adaptor to fit on Etalon.
      3. then used a Chinese 2" to 1.25 and modified the 2" side socket taking internal ring off and making 3x 120° threaded holes and 3x nylon thumb screws and used that as an adaptor to fit the original PST eyepiece holder - strangely enough at present this adaptor is also used as a tilter ... until I buy a proper camera tilter
      4. then fit the above eyepiece holder into the SCT focuser with 2" to 1.252 adaptor in it and screwed the whole Gold PST tube with Etalon in it and made a BETTER PST - see image

5. I also initially tried a 2.2x DSLR camera Lens magnifier in front of PST and it decently works too - so PST will be fine for full solar disk mainly and without the 0.5 angstrom - not forcibly needed, I am probably around 0.7 as it is!
      6. more importantly, I decided to make my own 90mm solar scope using the above bits and pieces.
      7. with the help of Solar Chat Forums [great guys with a lot of knowledge, some are professional - i.e. they know the optics mathematical details - which helps] I purchased a cheap Bresser AR90/900
      8. the ONLY usable thing there ... is the main tube, a nice and thick tube - the rest is ALL plastic!!!
      I dismounted all parts and saw tube shorter ... a bit too much ! - I could have saved ~6cm really as I went with original ideas, but forgot I was using a different telescope from my initial thoughts - silly me!
      So, I added a 6cm extension - no problems there to reach the 20cm inward needed for the PST Etalon which has ~20cm FL
      9. initially I used a Tuna Fish 100g tin to adapt the SCT focuser onto my AR152 and fit Etalon inside the focuser to get near the 20cm needed- lets call it Quark unit - which it is really!
      It worked well, so I decided to add a second focuser to tune the Etalon ... getting back to AR90/900 ...
      10. I was trying to avoid overspending, I could not afford to spend too much - then I remembered I had a unused AR102SX which in my mind I guessed ... the focuser should over AR90/900 and it did!
      It just fits perfectly - then drilled three holes for the holding screws et-voila'
      11. I purchased a second hand 75mn Baader D-ERF and fit it INSIDE the AR90 tube at about 20cm inside from the front air-spaced doublet lenses, as there are the usual internal rings soldered in and just sit on it and I have about 70mm aperture  - i.e 70mm width from the D-ERF for photons to get through.
      At that ~20cm distance from front lenses the beam is still very large - probably about 60-65mm - there is no heat in between - no need for air-escaping holes
      12. when I have the time I will make a solar finder scope and fit it on the tube - not that is really needed - I usually use CDC to get there almost over The Sun [having an almost exact spot on the yard!] - then use my eye without eyepiece and look thourgh the PST eyepiece holder for solar shinging and centre the telescope over The Sun.
      Well, it works well after tuning Etalon focuser correctly and then focusing/tuning Etalon etc. - the usual.
      See some images - still learning imaging/processing and a lot more to learn about Solar ... a lot!
      I will probably need to get a Power-mate 2.5x when I can afford it!

1st mod - without the original black box - it works so much better - better focusing and sharper viewing too.

This is the AR90/900 shorten tube with AR102SX focuser and adaptors to test it normally

This is complete with the Quark Unit on the right side
      Since this image there have been some changing - do not use the revelation adaptor any more and added a 6cm 2" extension.

Here are some images:

• By Astrofriend
      Now the dark season has started for us who live in Sweden. Then we must have all our equipment in top condition.
      I have one mini mount, the Star Adventurer, I'm very satisfaid with it. But you can always get it a little bit better. One small problem I have is that the altitude lock of the wedge slips. Maybe others of you also have this problem?
      Here I have some photos and my attempt to get it better:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-star-adventurer-modify-wedge/project-star-adventurer-modify-wedge.html
      I will test if my modifications work in reality next clear sky.
      /Lars
    • By bottletopburly
      Took the bull by the horns and done the power modification on my Eq6 pro to connect via the 2pin connector , bit nerve racking haven’t really done much  soldering before ,managed to do soldering without frying anything, used Blu-tac to isolate surrounding area so I didn’t solder anything I shouldn’t have , mount powered up checked slewing with handset , steady red light  voltage reading 14v dropping to 13.9v  slewing  phew ?

• By Jon2070
      Hi all, I use my Nikon D750 95% of the time for daytime imaging, so far I have done nightscapes of the milky way and recently I bought a Star Adventurer and have been really pleased with the results that I got with my Nikon 180mm f2.8 lens attached. I would also like to attach the camera to larger telescopes that my local Astronomical Society has.
      I am interested in increasing the Ha sensitivity, however I would like to continue using the camera for daytime imaging, I have read a lot of different posts here and other places and I'm still none the wiser. So far I have gathered that the IR filter is removed which sits in front of the camera's sensor and is replaced with a filter that lets through the Ha wavelength, however a custom white balance is required for daytime use. Does this custom white balance overly matter as it can be altered in Lightroom/Camera Raw?
      I also read that an external IR filter may need to be fitted to each lens (a bit impractical and is this only when the whole IR filter has been removed from in front of the sensor - full spectrum mod?).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.