Hi from South Manchester

Asur1984

Hi all,

I hail from south Manchester where the skies are, errrrm, well almost always cloudy.

I have been poking around here for a while now and thought I'd jump in and join the fun.

At the minute I only have a cheap pair of binoculars (good for getting a little closer to things) and a Celestron Astromaster 76. I do plan to upgrade these at some point, but for now, I'll use them to learn more about the night sky.

Away from the stars, planets and everything else up there I enjoy all things motorsport (especially motorbikes), cycling, rugby, football, reading and learning new things (which is why I have registered and got funding for a degree in Maths and Physics).

Well that about sums me up, hoping to learn much and, hopefully, contribute some too.

Jon

3 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Welcome to SGL from me!

I used to live in south manchester (west Didsbury). I remember an astronomy club used to meet at Wythenshawe Park, that was always fun to go to.

Dan.

I never knew there was one there, I know of the Didsbury one but not the Wythenshawe Park one, may have to venture that way, not far for me being in Sale.

10 minutes ago, Asur1984 said:

I never knew there was one there, I know of the Didsbury one but not the Wythenshawe Park one, may have to venture that way, not far for me being in Sale.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't meet anymore! They stopped a few years ago after I visited them a few times...

Definitely go to a club with your binoculars, darkness is coming so faint galaxies and nebulae are getting easier to see.

Dan. :happy7:

1 hour ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't meet anymore! They stopped a few years ago after I visited them a few times...

Definitely go to a club with your binoculars, darkness is coming so faint galaxies and nebulae are getting easier to see.

Dan. :happy7:

I will give them a look then in that case, I actually tried to image the moon a couple of nights ago using nothing but my phone and the binoculars. I always try to push the camera on my phone to try and capture something different.

22 hours ago, Asur1984 said:

I will give them a look then in that case, I actually tried to image the moon a couple of nights ago using nothing but my phone and the binoculars. I always try to push the camera on my phone to try and capture something different.

That's how a lot of people start. You can buy a phone holder that attaches to the end of the scope that would give you a steady view.

Dan :happy7:

Archived