Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6-R

dph1nm

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the EQ6 not already have a 20kg capacity. A handle and a bit of a make over hardly accounts for an upgrade. I'm sure the price will be the only thing upgraded. I guess you have to offer Joe public different every now and again even if their scopes are basically the same thing just in a different colour.

• 2 months later...

Very interested in this. I am in the early stages of planning a purchase of either an NEQ6 or AZ EQ6 so this caught my attention.
The sale price on the US site suggests $2475 which comes in around £1880 which will probably be rounded up to £2000 as it's the UK.

If that's the case then its probably a no go. :sad2:

Interesting, but I'm really not sure what the point of this is at that price, why would you just not buy the excellent AZEQ6 for a third cheaper? I have never used the AZ mode on mine, but would I pay an extra £700 for an EQ only version? NO! This needs to be priced in the same region as the AZEQ6, it doesn't bring anything extra to the table.

5 hours ago, johnrt said:

Interesting, but I'm really not sure what the point of this is at that price, why would you just not buy the excellent AZEQ6 for a third cheaper? I have never used the AZ mode on mine, but would I pay an extra £700 for an EQ only version? NO! This needs to be priced in the same region as the AZEQ6, it doesn't bring anything extra to the table.

I think the site is Australian, so that price could be in Australian dollars which translates to ~1 880 USD 

Indeed Auzzie $$'s, but they quote the rrp at $2799, which at today's exchange rate is £1628, £330 more than the AZEQ6, and we all know the prices never quite match up like that, they normally equate to a US$ = £1 when they hit our shops, so that still makes it around the £2000 mark. That is unless we all get a nice surprise and it retails at a sensible amount at around half of that!

Nothing new by the looks of things apart from the jazzy looking handle, an eq7 would have probably been a better bet, say a 601b pay load!:grin:

Theres a gap in the market in my opinon for mounts of this payload, only the ioptron cm60 offers this, which is still a portable mount!

• 1 month later...

Not great news on the EQ6-R from the look of it.:sad2:

From this translated website site it suggests its release date has been delayed until 2017. No idea if that's true but as there is still a severe lack of any information on the mount it wouldn't surprise me.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://blog.apm-telescopes.de/2016/09/12/skywatcher-eq6-r/&prev=search

18 minutes ago, Gecko said:

Just how long does it take to get a mount right?

Phill

I suppose its the usual thing of making sure they getting it right first time.

Or alternatively with Celestron just releasing their new CGX mount maybe this is a possible reason or consequence for the delay? Probably a similar target market though without any clue of the price of either of these mounts its just a wild guess.:icon_biggrin:

Before damning it I'd want to know what it was like on the inside, not just the outside, and see how it performed. Who knows how they might have improved the QC and so on? The excellent Avalon (Mk1) Linear showed that the motors and electronics of the EQ6 are excellent and can deliver near-premium performance in a well engineered mechanical structure. To be honest, all the EQ6 really ever needed was a bit of QC to take it from where it started out to where it could be. Has this happened? Impsossible to tell with present information.

Olly

• 3 months later...

With encoders, a thicker counter weight shaft, better altitude adjustment, ability to use in alt-az mode and mount two scopes and having a lighter mount head l think if I was buying new, I'd rather spend the extra £70 and get the AZ-EQ6 [again]. 

Looking forward to hearing reviews.

James

Well, it is an interesting move from Sky-Watcher as the original EQ6 has been around for a long time - however, it has been around for a long time because it is so good for the money despite its flaws.

On 23/09/2016 at 09:53, Gecko said:

Just how long does it take to get a mount right?

Can't answer that but I'd applaud any company that didn't release a new product until it was 'right'!

Archived