Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powering a CCD from a remote site

I am looking to go out to a remote site with my new Moravian CCD to do some imaging soon.

As I have only been using it with mains power I will need to run it off a battery.
After doing a bit of research I have come down to the Tracer 12v 22ah

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/tracer-12v-22ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack.html

I understand there is another type of Tracer called the LiFePO4 which offers greater discharges but for the sake of this thread let’s just stick with the Li-Po type.

What I am trying to work out is the method of connecting the battery to the CCD.
The power pack that comes with Moravian CCD is a DC 12v 5A unit.
So after some checking with Tracer they recommended the Bullet bare end cable

http://www.tracerpower.com/bullet-bare-ends.html

Then get a DC plug  as linked below to attach to the bare end. I have noted that some Tracer ‘Bullet’ adapters are rated at only 2A. This is also true of some of the actual DC plugs.

Clearly I need to be careful in select the right one for 5A.

Here is a plug I have seen but this does not state the Amps.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/25-x-55mm-solderless-plug-n53gu

I am not too familiar with electrics so I would really appreciate it if anyone has any experience with powering a CCD with a Tracer Lithium battery, ideally a Moravian but that should not matter.
Is there a simpler solution?

As with all astronomy kit it is never a straight off the shelf option…

Thanks

Difficult one, I would have thought this from Tracer would have been perfect - but as you say only rated at 2A.  Other Maplin 2.5 x 5.5 plugs here also 2A.

Here is a RS page and 5A do exist.       I would prefer to see a soldered connection and not the solderless you have linked to, you will need to make sure the cables are connected correctly, center positive.   Shame Tracer cannot make you a up special.

I am sure someone with a bit more electrical knowledge will be along with other suggestions. Will a fuse in the cable be worth thinking about ?

Thanks Mick

Yes I was thinking the same with regards to the connection. You can get some which you screw onto mounts inside the plug connector which would better or indeed as you say soldered.
I had not considered a fuse within the cable sounds like a sensible option if possible, the last thing I want to do is fry my CCD.

Do you think 22 Ah is enough? My SBIG 8300M has a 3 A power supply. Factor in the mount and any dew heaters (assuming your laptop and guide camera will run off of it's own battery), you could easily be drawing 5 A

This will only give you about 3 hrs before the battery is down to 25% charge...

Thanks for the feedback.  I would be planning to use a separate power for laptop and the mount /dew heaters. So I am only looking at using the Tracer with the CCD.

The Tracer site says that 50w expect 4hours 20mins and the Moravian site says the CCD draws 40W with 100% cooling so I would expect at least 5-6 hours as I would not be at 100% cooling the whole time and there is 10w difference. Like I say I am not very good on the electrical side.

I was going to suggest something like Tracer Bullet > 12V Plug Right Angle and FLO SkyTron Power Cable,  something like this will give you a fuse in the cigar plug.
Flo show the cable as "Unavailable - Please contact us", the cable is 6A rated, the DC plug I am not so sure of but would expect...........

And it's 5 meters long ! - but this arrangement may be an idea.   (already made - plug and play etc. this is the point of my post :happy6: see I managed to sneak a smiley and a bad pun in).

You may need to think about temperature and battery life Droogie,  cold nights can make a difference.

Archived