Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Big One!

Planet X

Managed to get this image of the Big One this morning. I'm still trying to get the hang of imaging so its early days. Pleased with this one showing the massive sunspot on display at the moment.  Try and grab a peek guys if you can, its a stunning sight. Used a Seymour Glass filter on my CPC1100 and Baader Zoom Mk III and Canon 6D.  Would love to see if anybody else has got some images.  

Cheers Guys

_MG_8558.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks JemC, so i have just learned that it has a name, or number depending on how you look at it, AR 12546.  Going to have a good trawl through that section, some amazing images there,puts my effort to shame!  

Just now, Planet X said:

Thanks Davey-T, yes its staggering!  I wonder if anybody knows what is the largest ever sun spot observed or imaged?

Not sure, but there have been ones visible with the naked eye through a filter ie at x1 magnification! I've checked on this one and haven't seen it like that so far. There was a huge one a while back, Aug last year which was visible without a scope, here's an iPhone 'snap' I took. This one is very simple in comparison but may well develop further.

image.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not sure, but there have been ones visible with the naked eye through a filter ie at x1 magnification! I've checked on this one and haven't seen it like that so far. There was a huge one a while back, Aug last year which was visible without a scope, here's an iPhone 'snap' I took. This one is very simple in comparison but may well develop further.

image.jpeg

Wow, that is a superb effort with an iphone! Im going to keep my eye on this one, its quite curious as it is completely on its own.

10 minutes ago, Planet X said:

Wow, that is a superb effort with an iphone! Im going to keep my eye on this one, its quite curious as it is completely on its own.

Yes, it's very simple currently although there are plenty of pores forming behind it. There is also another patch of faculae and a pore which I spotted right on the limb which should be more easily visible tomorrow.

Hi,

About the sunspot cluster last August--I had just bought a simple webcam and tracking motors when it appeared. I could see it just by looking through a piece of Astro-Solar film.

8 Aug 2015.jpg

Unfortunately, being new to solar imaging, I thought that one of these was quite common, and would turn up every couple of weeks. I quickly learnt the opposite:wink:!!!

The Monster Spot is probably the most interesting event that I've seen since then, and I'm hoping that the cloud will shift a bit so I can get some more up-to-date images.

This was it on the 14th:

Big Spot 14 May 2016.jpg

And then on the 16th:

Big Spot 16 May 2016.jpg

I don't know why the orientation is different-perhaps something to do with the stacking process.

Clear Skies!

John

14 hours ago, Stu said:

image.jpeg

Ah the big one of 2015. What a stonkingly massive AR that was. Puts this years big one to shame.

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Whilst there's still lots of interest, when you look at the sun a couple of years ago you appreciate how quiet it is currently

DSCF0161.JPG

Wow! I cant believe how much activity there was in 2014. so was that the peak of solar Maximum?  Looks like its got measles! 

I do remember seeing the BIG one in 2015 (hard to miss it really), however i thought it was earlier in the year.......say June/July. I say this because i was away for most of August 2015 and am convinced there was something spectacular happening in June/July regarding the Sun. Maybe i'm just confused as i dont keep logs of observing sessions.

I'm only sorry that i didnt take up solar observing sooner. The 2014 sketch looks damn impressive.

The big save is now on. "What is the big save?", i hear you ask. Glad you asked. Ive only had my HW for about a year now and as impressed as i am with it, i'm ready to also take on Ha solar observing. I wont rush into things because i'm not quite ready yet. I have to decide though if i want a Quark (which needs an external power source and scope to attach to), or do i go for a one stop shop and get a PST).

Nuff about that for now though........but pro's and con's welcome. Perhaps i'll start a new thread on the Solar Observing thread and start my research.

19 hours ago, Planet X said:

I wonder if anybody knows what is the largest ever sun spot observed or imaged?

There was AR12192 in October 2014. A big cluster of spots, even if the spots themselves were small.

sun2014_63.jpg

Archived