Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

South Downs dark skies reserve

hobsey

Went there last year to meet up with a couple of Surrey members as it's only a 45 minute drive from me.

Lovely and dark.

This is where Steve (swampthing) spotted the horses head visually. He was at it for a good 3 hours trying to find it.

Just now, hobsey said:

Went there last year to meet up with a couple of Surrey members as it's only a 45 minute drive from me.

Lovely and dark.

This is where Steve (swampthing) spotted the horses head visually. He was at it for a good 3 hours trying to find it.

Where is the best place to go?

Old Winchester Hill is a favourite, used to be used by Hants astro (I think), but they moved to Butser Farm.

Here's the location of the car park and a 5 minute walk south from there it's very quiet and open.

https://goo.gl/maps/NYcDZyyUvHB2

I've been there multiple times and must make more of an effort to get up there more!

Great news. There really is no downside to dark sky status, it can help raise public awareness and preserve these spaces while saving energy.

Cornwall County Council is looking into a dark sky bid for Bodmin Moor, there are contact details here if you'd like to write in support of them. It's certainly worthy of it, I've seen SQM readings of 20.40, 20.58, 20.62 and 20.66 and my last two couple to Caradon Observatory on the edge of the moor.

This is great news even for me here in Ireland. All of my mum's family live in Surrey/West Sussex. I dont really get over there enough. Now with this news.........they will be sick of the sight of me. Yeah we have some dark sky places here in Ireland but if i went to them.......i'd have to pay for a B&B or hotel for the weekend. Now all i would have to do is book a cheap flight and have free digs for the weekend. 

The AONB ought to start working in this too, the more areas that start to take note about controlling light pollution and providing observing sites the better. Reading the South Downs application it seems that a lot of  councils have recently started long contracts to replace old streetlights with much better ones and gone for part night or dimming as well. It seems that economics might be helping us without anyone needing to put up a fight. 

Mir would be good to find more good quality sites closer to London, but the South Downs crew deserve a very large thanks for all their hard work!

peterW

On 11/05/2016 at 18:06, LukeSkywatcher said:

This is great news even for me here in Ireland. All of my mum's family live in Surrey/West Sussex. I dont really get over there enough. Now with this news.........they will be sick of the sight of me. Yeah we have some dark sky places here in Ireland but if i went to them.......i'd have to pay for a B&B or hotel for the weekend. Now all i would have to do is book a cheap flight and have free digs for the weekend. 

Yes but one in Ireland has gold star status Luke, really dark :)

Dave

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, NosyTrader said:

This is great news and news which I had missed! Thanks for the tips for good locations in the Downs. Does anyone know of any closer to Crawley/Horsham?

They had a stand at the recent Herstmonceux Festival with a map showing the darkest spots, it must be online somewhere.

Dave

https://www.southdowns.gov.uk/enjoy/explore/dark-night-skies/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived