Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 03/05 from Bembridge (first shoot with ADC)

SnakeyJ

My very first go with my ZWO ADC tonight, and I can honestly say that I have little clue!

I decided to mount the camera directly to the ADC using the CS mounting option and put my UV/IR cut filter on the nose of the ADC.    This was then slipped into a TV x3 Barlow, giving an effective FL of just over 5m.

Problem 1 - tightened up you have to level the ADC by rotating the camera/adc in the compression fitting of the barlow - it works but makes it impossible to align DEC and RA axis with horizontal and vertical when searching for and aligning jupiter on the sensor.

Problem 2 - not really sure where the leveling point on the ADC is.   I set the nylon lock screw equidistant between the two prism leaves where the range overlaps and then set this to level with horizon .

ADC adjusted using the ADC Tool in Firecapture 2.5 - pretty fussy and arbitary and struggled with the seeing.   Able to get them more or less aligned but little offset on the levers from what I would assume is the neutral position (aligned with nylon lock screw).

All the xtra faffing around slowed proceedings down a bit, but rewarded with some reasonable seeing for a first run.

2016-05-03-2102_1-JG-L_web.png

Not had many chances to capture Jupiter this season and this is my first reasonable capture of the GRS, so quite pleased to at least get it on record.

40% of 6400 frames stacked in AS!2, usual wavelets in Registax 6, followed by 150% upscale and quick PP in Image magic.

For the ADC experts - here's the new image train.   Pretty long and cumbersome with the TV x3 and had to fit the focuser extension tube to make up for the missing filter wheel.

DSC_1408.JPG

That's a great shot Jake, if that's you're 1st outing with this set up there's plenty more to come too, I look forward to seeing more from you and this set up.

I've just took the plunge after a long absence of being able to get out there and bought the same ZWO from FLO so hopefully I can get back out there soon and get some sense out of the ZWO too. Your shot gives me a lot of hope, thanks.

Congrats

:icon_salut:

Very good shot Jake and I am sure that things will only get better as you get used to the ADC.  It looks as though the ADC/224MC is a winning combination.

Good to see the ADC coming in time to get some shots Jake. Some good detail on show.

Nice pic of the scope. White tube. Orion was selling the early Europas in black. SPX had white tubes. When I saw your pic, I thought it was a spx

I didn't used ZWO ADC yet, but with ASH ADC I had it mounted bit differently.

First, as I have a mono camera I set ADC with an eyepiece and and eye. The ADC had an eyepiece holder so that work easily. The same thing I plan for ZWO ADC where it will be screwed to the filter wheel and end with a short eyepiece holder (and short nosepiece on the camera).

As for setup length - you could try a Barlow lens that can go inside the drawtube, or screws with T2 to the ADC - so that it doesn't add length to the setup - assuming the focus point doesn't require so long setup.

When Jupiter is over 40 degrees alt there is only a small offset needed on the prisim levers.

That depends on resolution, f/ratio hitting the ADC and atmospheric conditions.

11 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Good to see the ADC coming in time to get some shots Jake. Some good detail on show.

Nice pic of the scope. White tube. Orion was selling the early Europas in black. SPX had white tubes. When I saw your pic, I thought it was a spx

I was lucky here with regard to the timing Neil, but I must say dealing with ZWO optical directly has been a very positive experience!   Though with FLO now stocking these cameras and accessories it could be even better and quicker!

There's no definitive marking on my OTA, so pretty sure it was the F4.8 250mm Europa which would be 1/6 lambda - though must say the optics have impressed me (on the rare occassions the conditions have allowed) for the aperture and focal length.   The original mirror cell was rudimentary and did not hold collimation well, but the VX 9 point cell was an easy fit and great upgrade.    At some point I will get around to making a carbon fibre tube and replacing the OC1 focuser, probably with one of the new Baader Steeltracks - it won't save a lot of weight, but will make the OTA stiffer and the new focuser should help keep things concentric/collimated.

8 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Nice result Jake! When Jupiter is over 40 degrees alt there is only a small offset needed on the prisim levers.

Cheers Stuart, it was much smaller than I expected though reasonably easy to adjust using the firecapture ADC Tuning control.   Longer focal lengths should make this more obvious, though conditions are very rarely good enough for 6m plus with the 5x Powermate!   I will look to replicate Darryl's ADc horizon levelling mod as this looks useful and inexpensive.

5 hours ago, riklaunim said:

I didn't used ZWO ADC yet, but with ASH ADC I had it mounted bit differently.

First, as I have a mono camera I set ADC with an eyepiece and and eye. The ADC had an eyepiece holder so that work easily. The same thing I plan for ZWO ADC where it will be screwed to the filter wheel and end with a short eyepiece holder (and short nosepiece on the camera).

As for setup length - you could try a Barlow lens that can go inside the drawtube, or screws with T2 to the ADC - so that it doesn't add length to the setup - assuming the focus point doesn't require so long setup.

That depends on resolution, f/ratio hitting the ADC and atmospheric conditions.

Thanks Piotr - I will probably go back to the 1.25" eyepiece adaptor on the ADC as this will allow me to rotate the camera and maintain orientation with DEC/RA axis.   I originally had the L filter screwed in to the camera nosepiece and was concerned that this would contact and scratch the prisms.   However, its much better to have the L filter on the ADC nosepiece and I can always fit a spacer/parfocal ring to the camera.   It will also be useful to be able to use an eyepiece for finding and centering on the target if I can find something that is close to parfocal with the camera.

The image train is definitely too long and cumbersome, particularly on the less than optimal OC1 - I do have some riser blocks for the focuser, but will see what can be done to move the point of focus back towards the OTA.    I could remove 50mm or so if I replaced the conventionalTV 3x barlow with a telecentric barlow.

Archived