NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If you were a professional astronomer...

gurney

Just thought I'd start a thread to tap into your inner dreams.

If you could do astronomy full time, and you had the chance to use any of the various telescopes (visual, radio, space based, infra-red, ...) what would you love to study and why?

Personally I've always been split between that which is closest to home - our sun and the stellar wind interacting with the earth, and at the other end of the spectrum, galactic structure.

I love the STEREO mission looking at our sun, so I'd love to be working on that.

But I think giving half the chance I'd love to be freezing my butt of up Mauna Kea in Hawaii - it must be a fascinating community to live and work in - and the days off would be pretty nice too! :grin:

This is a tricky one....I think I'd like to do visual work studying nebulae of different kinds.

However, I'd really like to be able to use my own equipment, in a light polution-free environment, to do professional work of some kind!

Stef :grin:

i dunno about doin work, but i'd like to use one of these multi million pound scopes (like the ones at mauna kea) just to look at the sky. i'd like to see what they double double looks like through such a scope, maybe see what m13 or m42 or sod it the whole messier catalogue looks like. just observe, using a very big scope - bliss

jonileth

If I were a professional astronomer.... I'd be at an observatory in Chile/Hawaii at high altitude delegating the hard work to an assistant. This would be so that I could set my scope up outside and happily observe all night long. :grin:

James

:thumbright: Visual lunar observing for me!! When Luna's not visible I'd like to help out with NEO detection, and my nights off would be spent hunting for Comet Talitha. :lol:

Keep looking, one day you will find it :grin:

Archie

I would like to be involved in a project to follow up on the Hipparcus & Tycho missions.

Combining Astrometry & spectroscopy. A prject like this should lead to a better understanding of Stellar evolution etc.

Cheers

Ian

Something that a friend once told me is that amateurs astronomers tend look up at the sky, professionals tend look down at data. I know which I would prefer to do.

OK, so as a professional astronomer I would just like to point out that this is not always true! As an optical observational astronomer I have been taking and reducing CCD images for nearly 25 years, and before that I played with photographic plates. You get to go to the best observatories in the world, with the darkest skies, and meet loads of people who are keen amateurs as well. And you often find the odd smaller telescope lying around unused just waiting for someone to look through it. What more could you want!?

NigelM

Archived