NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SpaceX

SilverAstro

Great stuff! They've come so close before that I'm delighted they have succeeded finally. Such a difficult thing to achieve, quite amazing.

Haven't seen the footage yet...

Just now, Stu said:

Great stuff! They've come so close before that I'm delighted they have succeeded finally. Such a difficult thing to achieve, quite amazing.

Haven't seen the footage yet...

Good init !

I just edited my post with a couple of links

I watched it early this morning, an incredible feat of engineering, when they can achieve this type of landing on

another planet, that would probably be the ultimate goal.   

7 hours ago, JemC said:

A pretty mean feat, landing on a platform that's moving around with the waves, :thumbsup:

I  did think it looked rough out there. What I would like to know is how they stop the rocket from falling over when on its 2 day! journey back to harbour.

22 hours ago, ronl said:

I watched it early this morning, an incredible feat of engineering, when they can achieve this type of landing on

I was thinking likewise of the sci-fi depictions of a variety of alien planets with rockets sitting on tailfins

23 hours ago, ronl said:

I guess to be fair they have already achieved something similar with the Apollo landings, plus the Mars Explorer mission had some pretty amazing technology used when it landed - airbags and retro rockets.

http://mars.nasa.gov/mer/mission/tl_entry1.html

The biggest differences with SpaceX I suppose are the speeds, earth's gravity and the accuracy required to hit the landing ship. Pretty amazing stuff.

image.png

I posted this in another thread, but referring to what people have said above, it does really look like a sci fi movie or something out of Thunderbirds. This is only a CGI animation but it really is reminiscent of 1950's sci fi movies or artwork of how rocket spacecraft would move and land.

21 hours ago, colin2007 said:

What I would like to know is how they stop the rocket from falling over when on its 2 day! journey back to harbour.

From Wikipedia,

During rocket landing operations, a separate support ship is typically standing by some distance away from the uncrewed drone ship. Following landing, technicians and engineers will reboard the landing platform, and secure the rocket's landing legs to lock the vehicle in place for transport back to port.[2]

1 hour ago, JemC said:

From Wikipedia,

During rocket landing operations, a separate support ship is typically standing by some distance away from the uncrewed drone ship. Following landing, technicians and engineers will reboard the landing platform, and secure the rocket's landing legs to lock the vehicle in place for transport back to port.[2]

Thanks for the info. Never gave it a thought to look on wikipedia. I  just presumed it would come back on its own :)

On 10/04/2016 at 08:26, colin2007 said:

I  did think it looked rough out there. What I would like to know is how they stop the rocket from falling over when on its 2 day! journey back to harbour.

Also, in the post mission briefing. Elon mention that they were literally welding it to the floor for the journey home. Some high seas were expected.

Don't forget that the rocket is also empty by now, and all the weight is very close to the floor so it has a low center of gravity.

Archived