NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 wide field, Takumar 135mm lens

Quick test of the new to me Takumar 135mm lens on a modded Canon 450D, 17 X 2 min subs, lights and darks. Thought I'd try M51. Processed in PS cs2

Looks like a very capable lens.

wide field M51-34mins-iso800-takumar135 small file.JPG

comments welcomed.

thanks for looking

Tim.

Thanks for looking and the kind words fellow Loungers. I'm very pleased to have purchased this lens and look forward to using it again and maybe keep a lookout for a 200mm and 55mm Takumar to for a nice little set, better start saving.:hmh:

Tim

wimvb. (Very nice image, with round stars all the way it seems. Did you stop the lens down or was it at full aperture?)

to be honest I can't remember, these were just some quick test images where I had a bit of a gap in the clouds, but I will say the likelihood is yes I would have stopped down, and I did do a slight crop on the image edge due to frame movement in images. hth's a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2016 at 10:27, Cozzy said:

wimvb. (Very nice image, with round stars all the way it seems. Did you stop the lens down or was it at full aperture?)

to be honest I can't remember, these were just some quick test images where I had a bit of a gap in the clouds, but I will say the likelihood is yes I would have stopped down, and I did do a slight crop on the image edge due to frame movement in images. hth's a bit.

The stars aren't showing any diffraction spikes so I suspect the lens must have been wide open. Which version of the 135mm lens do you have please? Some produce flatter images than others.

Also, you have another nice galaxy at top right, probably an edge-on spiral.

On 22/04/2016 at 13:47, Knight of Clear Skies said:

The stars aren't showing any diffraction spikes so I suspect the lens must have been wide open. Which version of the 135mm lens do you have please? Some produce flatter images than others.

Also, you have another nice galaxy at top right, probably an edge-on spiral.

Sorry for the late reply I've been working away. The lens is the Super Multi Coated F 3.5 (No 43542 on the manual / auto slider and 4569940 the lens end), from the mid 60's I think.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the other galaxy is M63

Tim

Archived