SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Well I'm buzzing!!

popeye85

That's it!-I'am officially hooked!!

I bought a 6" scope way back in November ( well actually I bought it for my wife but I er, adopted it somewhat...) however after problem after problem with the moter I finally got it back last week and had my first crack with it last night and it was defo worth the wait!!

After spending the day getting all my equipment sorted-collimating, alligning the finder, etc-I even went out and got a notebook to take records, as well as  list of targets ( mainly Galaxies as supplied by the good people of the SGL!) all I had to do was head of to my local dark sky area and wait for the sun to set!

First on the list ws JupiterI-I have seen it a few times before but it is something I wil never get bored looking at, seeing was great and at X250 mag it was a beautiful sight to kick of the evening. next up i decided it was time to see my first galaxy-somethng I have been itching to do from the start and despite previous efforts have been unable to even locate M31, however after reading previous threads I decided to ditch the scope for this one and get the bins out-and there it was!! YES! gotcha!!! what was so hard about that??  Next up on the hit list was the Leo triplet and yep-got it!-this goto thing really does feel ike cheting a bit!  although I managed to get M65/66 I failed in my atempt to get NGC 3628 but I am putting that down to lack of experience (yeah I know-poor excuse!). Then I thought it wsa time to step things up a notch and go for another one I have been wanting to see-the famous Whirlpool Galaxy. I must say that although I found it ok I couldn't make out much structure. Averted Vision helped a bit ( first time I have treied this technique) but will have to try this one again at another time.

Tired of straining my eyes I remembered that someone had said how impressive the Beehive cluster was! they where not wrong! I cant decide what was more impressive, seeing it thriughthe scope or using bins-both make this cluser look spectacualr and this one is defo going on the ' favorite list!'

Getting a bit cold now, and after spliting Alcor and Mizar ( not double sliting it though as dummie here set the scope to low so it washurting my back at that angle!!)  I made the decision to get one more messier object in the bag before heading of so opted for M81/82-This was with out a doubt the highlight of the night. briliant at X30 mag but I decided to notch it up to X60 mag and I'm glad I did although they ONLY JUst managed to both fit into my FOV. They where spectacualr. So bright and able to see so much detail I was glued to the spot for ages!

Anyway by this point I really was cold! so with the adrenilain pumping from Bodes and the cigar, I chucked everything back in the car, turned the heting  on and set of home with a stupid grin stuck on my face!

Many thanks to everyone on SGL  who helped me with decisions everything from choosing a scope to what targets to choose-It really is not a bad wee forum!

Colin

P.S When choosing the scope I was In two minds about whether or not go get the Goto. I listened to arguments on both sides and now after using It i feel like I can offer my own views-Goto is a good way to ensure it will take you alot longer to learn your way around the sky, I am ashamed to admit that a coupe of times after looking at a target I had no idea where abouts in the sky I was! yes you can learn your way to the targets without using your Goto but lets face it-most people if the have the option then they will just press the button. On the other hand, when my goto was out of aftion and I only had manual mode I had no choice and on tried severl times to find targets and failed misriblely! and I in the end I can honestly say that I wsa so fustrated that if it wasn't the promise of a goto on it's way then I doubt very much I would have continued-glad I did though!

Anyway, thanks for reading and let me know your thought's or any tips you can offer to help me imrove with this great hobby.

It's great it all worked out in the end. The nice thing with this mount is it works with no power as you experienced and if you don't want go to you still get the benefit of the mount tracking on your manually found object.

15 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

I made the decision to get one more messier object in the bag before heading of so opted for M81/82

Got to agree. There's something about having both of them in the same field and the different aspect each presents that makes this worth looking at again and again. Good up close too, but the widefield view never disappoints.

16 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

Goto is a good way to ensure it will take you alot longer to learn your way around the sky

Not having used goto (for the reason you mention) I can't say for sure, but I'm inclined to agree. But when I'm trying to observe from my light polluted garden and can barely see any guide stars at all (leading to me spending an hour or more fruitlessly hunting around, finding nothing and going to bed in a huff), I often find myself wishing I had gone the goto route. Damned if you do, damned if you dont...

Maybe slow down with the goto and check out everything on a star map, or try to locate with the bins before you set the scope to slew? That could get you the best of both worlds.

I often have fun setting up my goto on the SW mount I have. even after many years I still don't know many of the names for stars and regularly pick one that is either behind the house or has not risen above hills. Nice report BTW I can see you are hooked.

Great report. Glad you enjoyed all your views, especially the galaxies. I saw M65 &M66 the first time too the other might. Didn't see NGC 3628 though, but this is a harder one to see requiring a dark sky and good transparency of the sky. I'm sure you'll nab it soon though with the scope. M81 & M82 are always a joy to look at with either binos or scope. :) Enjoy the views! 

Try some time to take your scope to a dark place, where you can see a million stars, and tey the Leo triplet again. There you will see all three easily.

I search objects manually and have spent a lot of time in the learning process. It can typically take half an hoyr to find an objects, and some nights finding DSOs have been frustrating. Mostly open clusters, because they are so difficult to recognize sometimes.

It's always a pleasure to read about newcomers getting more and more involved in this hobby! :)

Now, try to use your telescope whenever you can and not to think about bigger telescopes or expensive eyepieces. Observe as much as you can in order to get a proper passion and deep interest. One day, with a bit of experience and more matured interests, it will gradually be clear what you need and how to upgrade. :)

Try M67, I moved down to it after the beehive last night, it was amazing, it jumped straight to the top of my open cluster favourites.

The third Leo triplet is hard, I had it in my eyepiece but it took someone with more experience to actually show me where it was and then required some averted vision.

Nice report.

5 hours ago, popeye85 said:

can't wait to get back out there! !

I always feel like that after packing away, but then a few days later it'll be 'so should I get that new eyepiece or finder.........or both?'. If you can keep that thought away until your next session you'll find you end up spending half what you would have done otherwise - it's really down to the lack of clear skies that televue strive!

On 1 April 2016 at 19:44, mdstuart said:

About now you normally start to want a bigger scope.

Mark

lol

19 minutes ago, Joe12345 said:

I always feel like that after packing away, but then a few days later it'll be 'so should I get that new eyepiece or finder.........or both?'. If you can keep that thought away until your next session you'll find you end up spending half what you would have done otherwise - it's really down to the lack of clear skies that televue strive!

I was the same, absolutely buzzing, then yesterday I was watching something on Youtube and caught myself wishing I had 'one of those' (for about 8 bits of gear)

Saying that though, my sensible self prevailed and instead I spent £14 on a clipboard, 2 little LED gooseneck lamps and some other gear for sketching my observations.

I'm pleased that I have a sensible self, I'd be bankrupt otherwise :)

5 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

That's the future, I've upgraded to two clipboards. One for an observing list and one for drawing. The simplest things give the most pleasure,

Nick.

But isn't that a slippery slope? Before you know it you'll be buying bigger boards with  higher resolving power, one each for planetary, lunar, DSO etc ? 

54 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

But isn't that a slippery slope? Before you know it you'll be buying bigger boards with  higher resolving power, one each for planetary, lunar, DSO etc ? 

Oh yes...soon you'll be wanting one of these and then a red laptop film from Flo to go on top, then the top of the range pencils that are really nicely weighted, then......I should stop now, before my wish list gets too long....

Archived