Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up! Binocular comet in dawn sky

Had great views last night of Jupiter which was very steady again allowing over x200 power on it, then a great view also of M81 & M82 also, which where awesome in the binoculars, and just as good when I finally homed in on them with the telescope, which took a while as they where close to the zenith range of my stand.

Went in at 1:30am, and set the alarm for 5:15am to try to view the comet, but alas there was too much cloud in the southern part of the sky, so went back to bed instead. 

Nice picture Mr T!

I had lovely clear sky at 5am this morning. But, I got so distracted looking at a super steady Saturn and a huge Mars, that I completely forgot the comet. Poo....

However, I have never seen so much detail on Mars before!! Amazing.

Paul

2 minutes ago, goodricke1 said:

Still easily visible last night in 15x70s, holding its brightness much longer than predicted.

Not through the clouds it isn't :)

Got up three mornings running to try:clouds1:

Dave

Just had it in a good sky for the first time. Huge in the 16x70s - easily 20 arcmin across, maybe a bit more. Also tried the 6.5x32 so I could report for the small bino users - very easy indeed, & obvious.

6 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

Just had it in a good sky for the first time. Huge in the 16x70s - easily 20 arcmin across, maybe a bit more. Also tried the 6.5x32 so I could report for the small bino users - very easy indeed, & obvious.

Sadly, cloud in the morning so far has stopped me looking for this. FLO's clear outside app doesn't list any clear mornings in my location for the week ahead, so not looking good for me to try to nab it alas! :( 

Tried for this at 4.30am this morning (baby awake!), but no luck. It seemed reasonably dark and the transparency was ok, although not brilliant. Is this finder chart from SkySafari correct?

image.png

image.png

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Tried for this at 4.30am this morning (baby awake!), but no luck. It seemed reasonably dark and the transparency was ok, although not brilliant. Is this finder chart from SkySafari correct?

I've not seen it myself yet (no baby !) but I think it agrees with the chart at Skyhound if that is any consolation :) :-

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/252P.pdf

http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

Good luck , ,

• 3 weeks later...

Archived