Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M78 and friends - slowly getting there!

MartinFransson

Finally I´m starting to get where I wanted to with this area! It´s not easy, using a non-cooled cheap DSLR, a tele lens and with an area of the sky that never rises above 25 degrees or so :)

24*3+96*5min, 15*15min Ha

Canon 1100D (Baader filter mod), Canon EF 300/4L IS

HEQ5 Pro with Orion MMAG.

I´ve processed the colour and the luminance separately and then added Ha-data to the red channel. I know there are some lens reflexes that I haven´t edited out but you´ll just have to take that :D

Hope you like it!

M78_120fr_Ha-LRGB_1600.jpg

4 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Great image, cheap DSLR or not. It sums up to 13 hours on target; when did you start this project? I can't even remember when we had clear nights. (Almost anyway)

Thanks Wim!

The data was shot on 13, 15, 26, 27 and 28 of february this year. Had some luck with several clear nights.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Bravo; that really is a job well done and the target is anything but easy.

Olly

Thanks Olly! I found out the hard way it wasn´t easy! :D The area being only 25 degrees above horizon and in the direction where I have some LP didn´t help either. Your tips on how to blend in the Ha on the other hand - that DID help! Many thanks!

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

Inspiring, and also an education to see what's possible with fairly modest equipment.

Thanks Rob! It started this way because I can´t afford heavy gear but now it´s almost like a quest itself... what can be done with modest equipment, from my back yard, in a populated area.

There's a lot of labour, care and attention to detail gone into that project and what a fantastic image it's produced. I love the framing.  I've taken a close up of M78 and it looks so much better in a wider field and in context with it's surroundings.  DSLRs are great weapons for wider field imaging in such capable hands

On 2016-03-06 at 01:09, cardconvict said:

Wow the colours from your capture all beautiful great work !!!

Thank you!

On 2016-03-08 at 11:33, symesie04 said:

Stunning image, stunning work and all beautifully processed. 

Thank you!

On 2016-03-08 at 11:46, MartinB said:

There's a lot of labour, care and attention to detail gone into that project and what a fantastic image it's produced. I love the framing.  I've taken a close up of M78 and it looks so much better in a wider field and in context with it's surroundings.  DSLRs are great weapons for wider field imaging in such capable hands

True words! Lots of labour for sure :) Thank you!

On 2016-03-08 at 20:56, Steve 1962 said:

Picks chin up off floor, doffs cap in salute. Well done sir! As others have already said - Stunning!

Steve

Ha ha, thanks Steve! :)

Archived