Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hello all

leftback

Hi all,

My interest in astronomy has waxed and waned over the years but now that I have given up my footie season ticket I have the opportunity to buy some kit and take a serious interest.

It all started with Halley's Comet back in 1986 which I was viewing via an Olympus SLR and 400mm lens (the pics were a disaster though!). I have since been lucky enough to see the clear night sky for many nights on a long Himalayan trek. As dark as the skies can be, the number of stars that could be seen with the naked eye was truly staggering.

I will no doubt have more than a few questions to ask in the next few weeks as I try to decide in which telescope to invest my money on.

Cheers

Hi Leftback and welcome to the forum. Given the price of a season ticket, it should leave you with quite a healthy budget for new kit and there will be plenty of us here willing to help you spend it - look forward to your future questions!

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi Leftback and welcome to SGL, at least you have had the experience of a dark sky and know what it is really like. Unfortunately, a good many of our members will not have been so lucky and witnessed such an amazing sight, but have to put up with light pollution in varying degrees , enjoy the forum :) 

On 3/3/2016 at 22:38, JamesM said:

Hi Leftback and welcome to the forum. Given the price of a season ticket, it should leave you with quite a healthy budget for new kit and there will be plenty of us here willing to help you spend it - look forward to your future questions!

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Thanks James. My wife and kids are keen on telling me how to spend my money too! 

After allowing for the travel and beer on top of the season ticket I do have a good budget but that causes problems too as it widens the choice/options.

Al

Archived