Hi from East Yorkshire

Peco4321

Just a quickie to say hello fm Beverley in East Yorkshire from a newbie. I've posted a few times asking advice on equipment as I am soon (wife convincing under way) about to buy a starter scope. 

I was bought an old 3" refractor when I was about 15 (30 yrs ago!) and not really used it much but it's too old on an old wooden tripod, so the time is right, do hopefully soon will update with the good news. 

Let me be the first, (as a fellow Yorkshireman and indeed someone who lived in Beverley until 18 months ago) To say welcome to the lounge. I am sure there will be lots of advice coming your way shortly.:-)

Hi Peco. Welcome to SGL. I only live 10 mins away in light polluted Hull, so good luck with your stargazing. You should have nice darkish skies nearby on Beverley Westwood, but you need to watch out for wandering cows & cow pats too I guess if you do use it! ;)

Hello Peco and welcome :)

You know there's an astro group in Beverley? East Riding Astronomers, we meet every third Monday of the month except June and July (and for this year, not in May). There's also a group in North Lincolnshire who meet up on the first Monday, and another in Brough on the fourth Monday. All three are into viewing more than talking when the clouds allow....

Welcome to SGL.

A 3" is a good starter, but what do you want to do? The 3" is probably long focal length so good for planets and the Moon.

There are some excellent short focal length scopes out there and the Dobs from Skywatcher get good reviews.

Good luck and clear skies.

1 hour ago, BritAngler said:

You know there's an astro group in Beverley? East Riding Astronomers, we meet every third Monday of the month except June and July (and for this year, not in May). There's also a group in North Lincolnshire who meet up on the first Monday, and another in Brough on the fourth Monday. All three are into viewing more than talking when the clouds allow....

Yes I've seen your web site and hope to get to the next meeting. Also notice you sometimes meet up on Arras Hill. I'll have to be careful which layby I go in though ?

Hopefully see you soon ?

Peter. 

2 hours ago, baggywrinkle said:

Welcome to SGL.

A 3" is a good starter, but what do you want to do? The 3" is probably long focal length so good for planets and the Moon.

There are some excellent short focal length scopes out there and the Dobs from Skywatcher get good reviews.

Good luck and clear skies.

It's just a bit old and rickety so fancy treating myself. Interested in afocal and digiscope photography if they're the right terms,and maybe attaching my canon DSLR via Barlow lens etc. I have a few threads on that topic and some great advice. 

Hi Peco and welcome to SGL, nice clear image of the Moon you have taken through your old telescope, looks like a nice long focal length refractor. Could serve you well for a time, if it was remounted on something like a s/h surveying tripod, which would be a little more stable, especially if you could get hold of one of the old wooden ones, enjoy the forum :)

On 2 March 2016 at 09:16, BritAngler said:

Was hoping to come to the meet up on Monday 21st but my inconsiderate wife has decided to have her birthday on that day again this year. ?

41 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

Was hoping to come to the meet up on Monday 21st but my inconsiderate wife has decided to have her birthday on that day again this year. ?

April is the last time we meet at the usual place for 3 months. In May there's a talk at the Hull group that some of us are going to, and we don't meet at all in June or July....

Archived