Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your travel kit

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Thanks Mark.

I've yet to have the opportunity to take it abroad unfortunately, but at least I'm prepared ;)

The case is a Peli 1510. It is ok for the main stream airlines but not the budget airlines. The main issue which I'm uncertain about is weight. As I've shown it, the weight is well over 10kg but I guess the option is there to just put the scope and some lightweight accessories in and pack the remainder in checked baggage.

You do have the option of just packing the scope securely in a rucksack or similar in which case it should be fine on EasyJet et al.

https://peliproducts.co.uk/products/cases/1510-protector-case-1030.html

Hmm - thanks Stu. Food for thought

I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Morocco, part of which was spent in the Atlas Mountains with my wide field setup.  I have my cameras and the controller in hand luggage and the GPDX goes into the 20kg luggage for the hold.  The suitcase weighs about 20kg including mount head, tripod legs, tools and portable counterweight.  I do use some clothing as padding (protected, in a white rubble sack).  I was interrogated a bit by one of the security guys at Marrakech on the flight back (they have an xray machine at the terminal entrance, for everything) but I showed him a picture of the whole setup and he was fine.  I've never had any queries after checking in the bag & seeing it disappear towards the plane on the conveyor.

DSC_0700.JPG

DSC_0730.JPG

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, nicoscy said:

Helen,

Do you have a separate Etalon and BF? In that case Beat Kohler of AOK Swiss (also sells Borg scopes) can make any adapter you want. 

For €59 he made me an adapter for my Coronado SM II 40mm for my Borg 71FL.

Yes, I have a Solarscope 70mm filter and bf and one of their adapters for my megrez 72.  The adapter cost much more than that though, so very useful to know about AOK -thanks!

Helen

On 12 October 2016 at 17:31, Stu said:

Thanks Mark.

I've yet to have the opportunity to take it abroad unfortunately, but at least I'm prepared ;)

The case is a Peli 1510. It is ok for the main stream airlines but not the budget airlines. The main issue which I'm uncertain about is weight. As I've shown it, the weight is well over 10kg but I guess the option is there to just put the scope and some lightweight accessories in and pack the remainder in checked baggage.

You do have the option of just packing the scope securely in a rucksack or similar in which case it should be fine on EasyJet et al.

https://peliproducts.co.uk/products/cases/1510-protector-case-1030.html

Final question Stu, I promise. Is your Tak a DC, DF or DL? Presume not a DL as it's longer? Not easy to find detail about these scopes on the web.

If I can put together an airline-friendly package for the FC 100 then I'm pretty much decided this is my next scope. Sell my much loved Mak and Equinox - Edge 8 and FC-100 will meet all my needs. Might pop up to the International Astro Show in Coventry at the weekend to see if Ian King has any on display.

7 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Final question Stu, I promise. Is your Tak a DC, DF or DL? Presume not a DL as it's longer? Not easy to find detail about these scopes on the web.

If I can put together an airline-friendly package for the FC 100 then I'm pretty much decided this is my next scope. Sell my much loved Mak and Equinox - Edge 8 and FC-100 will meet all my needs. Might pop up to the International Astro Show in Coventry at the weekend to see if Ian King has any on display.

It's the DC I think Mark, definitely not the DL

I thoroughly recommend fitting a Feathertouch to it too!  Lovely!

On 10/12/2016 at 23:05, Helen said:

Yes, I have a Solarscope 70mm filter and bf and one of their adapters for my megrez 72.  The adapter cost much more than that though, so very useful to know about AOK -thanks!

Helen

Photos of the adapter. The SM II 40 has a 52mm thread at the back.

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It has taken a while to gather all of the components together but I think my travel kit is now complete...

IMG_0132.jpg

I still have some work to do on the cases so that they accommodate all of the bits but the kit comprises the following...

• Celestron C5
  • Tele Vue-60
  • Tele-Optic GR-2 Mini Giro
  • Tele Vue TelePod Tripod
  • Tele Vue 32mm Plossl, 24mm, 19mm & 15mm Panoptic and 2.5x Powermate

Both scopes will also be "solar-ready" by adding a Baader film filter to the C5 and my Quark to the TV-60 :cool2:

I managed a quick look at the Moon tonight before it disappeared behind the cloud and I'm very please with how this has turned out :grin:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, DRT said:

It has taken a while to gather all of the components together but I think my travel kit is now complete...

IMG_0132.jpg

I still have some work to do on the cases so that they accommodate all of the bits but the kit comprises the following...

• Celestron C5
  • Tele Vue-60
  • Tele-Optic GR-2 Mini Giro
  • Tele Vue TelePod Tripod
  • Tele Vue 32mm Plossl, 24mm, 19mm & 15mm Panoptic and 2.5x Powermate

Both scopes will also be "solar-ready" by adding a Baader film filter to the C5 and my Quark to the TV-60 :cool2:

I managed a quick look at the Moon tonight before it disappeared behind the cloud and I'm very please with how this has turned out :grin:

Looks fabulous Derek, should cover many bases.

Get booking!! :) 

Looks like a mini version of this one :) 

IMG_4988.JPG

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks fabulous Derek, should cover many bases.

Get booking!! :) 

Looks like a mini version of this one :) 

IMG_4988.JPG

If we count my C11 and ED120 I have one like that too, just a little bit bigger  :grin:

• Like 4

Just now, DRT said:

If we count my C11 and ED120 I have one like that too, just a little bit bigger  :grin:

It's actually a great combination whichever size you have. I had a fabulous time in Devon with this pair, widefield and high power/aperture side by side makes for really nice observing. The widefield for star hopping and the wider perspective and the aperture for detailed looks and the depth you can't get with a smaller frac.

• Like 2

Just now, Stu said:

It's actually a great combination whichever size you have. I had a fabulous time in Devon with this pair, widefield and high power/aperture side by side makes for really nice observing. The widefield for star hopping and the wider perspective and the aperture for detailed looks and the depth you can't get with a smaller frac.

That's exactly why I put it together, Stu.

I haven't fitted a finder yet but I am not sure I need one other than if I am using the TV60 with the Quark so I have ordered a TV Sol-Searcher with a Synta foot that will fit the Baader shoe that has now replaced the stock finder bracket on the C5.

15 minutes ago, DRT said:

That's exactly why I put it together, Stu.

I haven't fitted a finder yet but I am not sure I need one other than if I am using the TV60 with the Quark so I have ordered a TV Sol-Searcher with a Synta foot that will fit the Baader shoe that has now replaced the stock finder bracket on the C5.

I'm sure you won't need one with the TV60 Derek, I guess you get well over 4 degrees in that?

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

I'm sure you won't need one with the TV60 Derek, I guess you get well over 4 degrees in that?

Yes, but not with the Quark's 4x barlow, which takes it down to to less than 1 degree.

1 minute ago, DRT said:

Yes, but not with the Quark's 4x barlow, which takes it down to to less than 1 degree.

No I get that, you need the finder for solar but not for anything else :) 

• Like 1

Whilst, Stu and Derek discuss ways of making their travel gear bigger.........

I'm going the other way! The whole lot fits snugly in the mirror bulletproof primary mirror storage box of my dob.

SW 100 Baby Dob, Double Stacked PST, Baader and Televue Eyepieces.

I probably need a 24mm Panoptic to complete the set.??IMG_8675.JPGIMG_2228.JPG

Paul

Edited by Paul73
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

It's very scientific! I'm more worried about the mount......

Realising that I could fit the PST on the didy Dob mount was a real bonus. Especialy that the only functioning tripod that I possess is a very definitaly non travel Berlebach! 

The fact that the Baby Dob belongs to my 5yo son, means that it counts as a toy and thus counts as him taking up valuable space in the car....

Paul

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Wasn't expecting to get a holiday this year but changing circumstances this week mean we've been able to book 8 days (and 8 moonless nights) in Menorca at the end of July - even better is that we're staying at a small place several miles inland from the light polluted coast. This means I can take my Tak FC-100DC out of the country for the first time. It was Stu who first raised the prospect of such a possibility on this forum - by removing the FC focuser and dew shield the Tak tube measures about 18.5 inches - so is airline cabin portable ?

Rest of kit:

Gitzo tripod. Ercole mini mount.

Leica ASPH zoom plus Leica 1.8x extender.

Panoptic 24, Ethos 13. Nagler T6 3.5mm.

Will report back on how things go.

• Like 5