Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro-Modified DSLR

I've heard a lot about astro-modified DSLR’s.  (I’ve even watched a couple of youtube video’s – very scary).  I now have a couple of questions.  The first is around people's thoughts on the benefits of astro-modification – is it really worth it, exactly what benefits does it bring?  Secondly, I know modification will void any warranty but if I choose to go down that route does anyone know of a service I can buy to mod my camera of choice?  I would sooner pay a fee to have it done by someone who knew what they were doing rather than me having a go and ending up with a pile of useless junk :icon_biggrin:

Many thanks in advance.

I've modded two cameras, a Canon 10D and a Canon 450D. The 10D has been apart several times, the 450D twice. I think it's a case of take care and keep track (I had a sheet of paper that I drew a labelled box for each set of screws on). The mono-converters even attack their cameras with dremels and bits of wood, so just removing an IR filter is peanuts!

That said, when I first did the 10D, I ruined a sensor because I was ham fisted and broke the glass by rushing, cost me £14 for a replacement from Portugal.

I've seen several people say they are happy with this chap who supplies modded cameras or will mod your own: http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/

+1 for cheapastrophotography:icon_biggrin: I had my Canon 450d done by Juan, really good service and quick turn round, If you don't want to mod your own camera he also sells pre-modded camera's,

You might want to give him a ring first as I notice he his selling up all his kit (scopes and mounts) on ABS at the moment due to him moving house so might not be in a position to do any at the moment.

Regards

James

I would say it is absolutely worth doing (or having done). I carried out the filter modification myself, although after buying the Baader filter, it took 4 weeks to pluck up the courage to take the camera apart! In the end, I didn't think it was that difficult.

But the extension of red into the hydrogen alpha range makes it an essential mod in my view. 

For emission nebulae it is vital. A majority (a large majority) of popular nebular targets are dominated by Ha emission to which unmodded cameras have very poor sensitivity or effectively none at all.

Does Ha matter? Sometimes it is almost the only  thing which matters. My standard example is this one, with RGB on the left and HaRGB on the right.

HA%20COMPARATOR-M.jpg

Olly

I bought a Canon 550D for £167 on Ebay and had it modified by Astronomiser for £80 including return postage.  The camera has a very low shutter count so it all feels like a good deal to me.  Not tried it yet, hoping for clear skies on Tuesday.

This is something I've been pondering myself, one thing I would like to know... this camera is also used during daylight hours so what real world impact does removing the IR filter have on daylight photography? I'm not a professional, I just take photos of my family and the likes

Waiting on a cost from advancedcameraservices as they came highly recommended.

interestingly they said that nikon cameras dont normally block ha so I asked for a quote for converting to full spectrum

• 2 years later...

I'm having similar thoughts to the O/P and would like to retain non-astro usability.

My questions are:

Would a pro modded camer be likely to retain auto focus with proprietary camera lenses? Or would that usually be extra/over std modding?

What about the colour balance, do modded cameras need a filter attached for terrestrial use?

I'm sure I read the answers a million times but I seem to keep sleeping them out of my mind :)

At cheapstrophotography you can have a standard astronodification which will result in a red colour bias for daytime shots owhich can be corrected in post processing or with a custom white balance setting on the camera. Alternatively you can get a Baader modification for an additional £60 which seems to improve Ha espouse but maintains normal daytime white balance. 

Both options keep infinity focus for standard lenses.

Archived