Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New And Introducing Myself

MartinGough

Hi,

I've been considering buying a telescope for a little while now and, will I'm sure, gain a huge amount of knowledge and helpful advice here.

I'm a very keen photographer and would like to extend that to astrophotography so the type of setup I'm aiming for would be one best suited for that aspect rather than visual star gazing.

Martin

Welcome to SGL, Martin.

Ironically, you may well find that your existing knowledge of photography may actually hold you back at first as the two disciplines have little in common!

The mount is the most important component and this must be substantial, driven and equatorial in design.

With regard to the telescope itself, an 80mm apochromatic refractor would be the weapon of choice to get the ball rolling.

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL - There's a few imagers knocking about, so if you have any questions just shout :) The book 'Making Every Photon Count' is something of an imagers bible and will help you to make the best buying decisions. 

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hello and welcome to the forum Martin :)

I too prefer photography over observing. I know that both can be quite rewarding but I like the fact that I can share what I see with my family and friends ;)

You'll find lots of experienced imager here, lots of them got published so do not hesitate to post in the astrophotography forums and real A LOT as the learning curve is steep but so much fun :)

Cheers

Archived