SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Would you explode the moon?!

Joe12345

Recently I saw a picture on a magazine of the moon exploding, which made me think, if I had the choice, would I?

Assuming no damage would be done to earth, what would you do?

Obviously the moon is one of the main things that draws people into astronomy, but makes several DSOS invisible half the month.

Seeing the moon explode would be pretty spectacular, but would it be worth all the eclipses that wouldn't happen?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Joe, I don't really want to have no moon even though it does mess up dso imaging and observing. it's nice to look at sometimes. Still, it would be nice if we could "turn it off" when we want to look at deep sky stuff :D

Hi

I think I'd prefer both of the previos posts - maybe two moons but one larger than the other with differing colours and if possible a 'dimmer' switch to turn them down when needing to do some deep space stuff. I remember looking at an artists impression when I was a young boy (many years ago) which had the two moons as I said before... looked pretty inspiring.

If the Moon wasn't there the Earth would wobble unpredictably on its axis and you'd never be able to do any AP. You would also have to give up surfing and rock-pooling. And how would John Lewis ever sell any telescopes?

I think I'm happier having a Moon :wink:

With no moon what would become of certain things. Like the song Moon River, it would become, Very Dark Night River, The Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon would become , Dark Side Of The Other Dark Bit A Bit Higher Up......The list is endless :icon_biggrin:

If the Moon wasn't there the Earth would wobble unpredictably on its axis and you'd never be able to do any AP. You would also have to give up surfing and rock-pooling. And how would John Lewis ever sell any telescopes?

I think I'm happier having a Moon :wink:

Spot on.

Mick.

Actually it is pretty black. Check out its albedo, you'll be surprised. The Moon is one of my favourite targets. You can actually see details on it. It is ever changing depending on phase. There are some really difficult targets to challenge you and some lovely images to capture. I am afraid you DSO hunters just have to live with it.

I don't hold any particular grudges against the Moon and I'd miss the tides that perpetually reshape and figure the miles of beaches we have here.

Oh, and eclipses. I like both lunar and solar and we'd have neither without the Moon.

So I firmly vote to keep it.

Anyway, what about the debris. Not all the Moon chunks would stay in orbit and not all those that entered our atmosphere would burn up safely.

No, lets definitely keep it!!

If the moon exploded   then I would never have a chance to see one of the items on my bucket list, which is to witness an actual meteor impact on it; in real time.

I like this idea. I wonder how many significant impacts it has, and how predictable they are. Imagine a how cool it would be to watch a Shoemaker–Levy 9 type event hit the Moon :cool:

Yes I would give it the boot I'm afraid, it's the most uninteresting large satellite in the entire Solar System when you think about it.

"Uninteresting" in the sense that if it didn't exist neither would we? :wink:

I like this idea. I wonder how many significant impacts it has, and how predictable they are. Imagine a how cool it would be to watch a Shoemaker–Levy 9 type event hit the Moon :cool:

Just a small impact, just big enough to say,  Oooooh ! ! !

Yeah, keep the Moon unfortunately, we need it to keep the Earth stable. I just have to put up with the wretched thing wiping out imaging on the one clear night in the month, which inevitably coincides with the full moon :cussing:

Archived