Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would you explode the moon?!

Joe12345

This thread serves to remind me that any time we mere mortals so much as theorize about changing anything in God's creation we adversely unbalance it in ways that we do not always anticipate. I suggest that we leave well enough alone, even in theory.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't there reason to believe the moon reduces Earth's axial variation and without it the climate would have been more extreme and mass extinctions more regular and damaging ? 

Also don't we need the moon as a base for future journeys into deep space perhaps as a sort of 'insterstellar Heathrow'.

Maybe push it away a bit to reduce the amount of light pollution it causes.  Have to admit I do love old moonie.

Like our satellite as I do,I'd say O.K.- PROVIDED you could guarantee that the bits that fell to Earth would fall on Justin Bieber,the Kardashian clan,The entire cast and Judges of 'Strictly', 'The X factor','Keith Lemon' and the almost endless list of Talentless 'celebs' that are  almost impossible to escape from today,bar joining a Buddhist monastery,or retreating to  a Desert Island!  :evil4:  :evil4:  :evil4:

And another reason to keep the Moon...

It's phases act as a timer for a number of things in the natural world. The spawning of some corals and the reproductive habits of some turtle species are a couple that spring to mind.

It's a very deep relationship we have with the Moon. Unfortunately modern humans have become disconnected from it.

Hopefully you schedule the explosion during a full moon, for two reasons...

1) It will be crystal clear on that particular night, the only clear night of the month!

2) it would make a spectacular image!

My OH will miss it, but I won't...Perhaps you can negotiate with it to invert it's current cycle, then we can image during new moon! I could live with that...

My reading about the Moon (or Diana as the Romans thought of her) is how important and lucky we are to have it . The Moon does reduce Earth wobble but more importantly it slows the Earth's rotation speed . Without it the atmospheric winds would be unbearable all the time and we would cease to exist. So , the Moon is as important to life on Earth as the Sun.

This implies we need to protect the Moon from a big asteroid collision with as much care as we hope to take of our only reliable home.

ps

I would like to see rings about Mars in my lifetime !

Archived