Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First picture post. Be nice

Rosette nebula from last night. Still abit of gradient in the bottom left that I'm having trouble removing.

Skywatcher 200p on an eq5 mount.

Astro modded canon 600D

16 subs @ 5 minutes guided

20 flats

No darks or bias (It was too late to take them as I have a new born)

post-33487-0-33974000-1449678487_thumb.j

Cracking first image!  Especially nice to see someone else using a 200P on an EQ5 getting such results.

I reckon that gradient might be amp glow, (suffer from it myself - or at least my camera does) so have had a little go at it in StarTools which has a specific function that tries to deal with it although sometimes a bit of cropping is a more effective solution. 

I may have slightly overcooked the stretch but you've certainly got some good data there.

See what you think?

post-38153-0-19523900-1449685928_thumb.j

Cracking first image!  Especially nice to see someone else using a 200P on an EQ5 getting such results.

I reckon that gradient might be amp glow, (suffer from it myself - or at least my camera does) so have had a little go at it in StarTools which has a specific function that tries to deal with it although sometimes a bit of cropping is a more effective solution. 

I may have slightly overcooked the stretch but you've certainly got some good data there.

See what you think?

attachicon.gif33487.jpg

Too much there on the red.

Very nice image, Geordie85. Congrats.

I'm not sure the glow in the lower left corner is amp glow, It may be due to the stacking process. The corner is too square for amp glow in my opinion. You can crop it out, but you'd lose some of the nebula.

Very nice image, Geordie85. Congrats.

I'm not sure the glow in the lower left corner is amp glow, It may be due to the stacking process. The corner is too square for amp glow in my opinion. You can crop it out, but you'd lose some of the nebula.

That's exactly why it's still there. It's such a beautiful nebula that I'm happy to leave a little glowing corner.

Thanks for all your kind words. May have another crack at processing tonight after work

For a first effort, its better than mine was!

Darks can be done anytime, just stick the camera in the fridge and take your darks (assuming it was a cold night). But, you may get a funny look if anyone should go looking for the milk :D

That's a lovely image and much better than my first!

What software did you use for processing? I use Photoshop and find the GradientXTerminator plug-in brilliant. Some have trouble with it but I find it invaluable.

I tried fridge darks and they didn't work. Don't know why. Poss too cold? They made the image awful. When I stuck the camera in my shed, on a night when when the temp was about the same as the imaging session and the camera had cooled, I had a much better result.

Darks need to have as close to the same temp as the lights as poss, and have the same ISO and exposure as the lights.

Thanks.

I use photoshop cs5 for processing. I've used the trial version of gradient xterminator and found it works wonders but then my trial ran out and haven't managed to purchase it just yet.

The gradient was actually alot worse than it is in the last image. I stacked my lights without flats, gave it abit of processing and applied it to my image with flats. It actually done quite a good job (but not perfectly) of removing most of the gradient.

I'm now just waiting for a cloudy night that's not forecast for rain to take some darks

Archived