Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

30 meter telescope ?

ronin

It appears that the Hawaiian court has said that the building permit is invalid as they failed to take into account the views of the protesters. So appears to be on Hold again while TMT assess the present situation.

It appears that the Hawaiian court has said that the building permit is invalid as they failed to take into account the views of the protesters. So appears to be on Hold again while TMT assess the present situation.

Why would people protest against something that's going on the top of a mountain.....

Perhaps you lot should educate yourself first about the issues, history and politics of the country and people you are commenting about... before posting?

It does seem acceptable for the modern world to trample over the sensibilities and traditions of others.

Perhaps you lot should educate yourself first about the issues, history and politics of the country and people you are commenting about... before posting?

I agree completely with you.

For us such a telescope will be doubtless important. For these native people it could simply be another way to ruin their territory or sacred mount or whatever is included in their traditions that we, educated and cultured people, didn't even bother to ask or understand. For them, the building of this white architecture located on the top of a mountain, and including a funny empty cylinder-shaped tool inside moving around the sky could simply be outrageous. 

The point is that we think to own their place, their territory, their lives and with this idea behind, we think we can do everything (yes in an American way) we want. Beside the arrogance in this attitude, the underlying hypocrisy is that we would never accept this behaviour from somebody else in our territory. 

Let's make an example. Let's assume a non-British comes to Britain to do business. And for this example this person's business concerns motorways and road building. As a powerful man, he knows the major authorities and therefore he can start building major and minor roads, including tons of shops along the way with his partners, throughout the UK, destroying the pretty and conserved countryside, simply because this is irrelevant for this business man. Soon, the UK would become a polluted country covered with cities and towns, and maybe there would be even motorways passing next to Stonehenge! 

Now, would this person be well accepted by most of the British people? I would doubt so..

(Note that In this basic but realistic example, religion was not even mentioned..) 

Being eager (for knowledge, industry, power (????) ) can be a good thing as long as it doesn't hurt other people. I believe we can also live without that telescope. We might have a "delay in knowledge", but we will still get there. We might even put another telescope in space to cover that missing knowledge.. 

Ruining those people's traditions and beliefs is a step of non-return instead.

This fact can be found so many times in history. I won't comment furthermore on this as this is an astronomy forum, but just let people think about.

There is a wiki article on this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Meter_Telescope_protests. I suspect if somone wanted to flatten the top of Mt Everest (or Snowdon/Scafel) and put an obsy/scope on top, there would be protests - yeah, all are lousy sites but perhaps more people like treking up a clean mountain than walking up the road to an obsy. It's not a simple question.

P

I agree completely with you.

For us such a telescope will be doubtless important. For these native people it could simply be another way to ruin their territory or sacred mount or whatever is included in their traditions that we, educated and cultured people, didn't even bother to ask or understand. For them, the building of this white architecture located on the top of a mountain, and including a funny empty cylinder-shaped tool inside moving around the sky could simply be outrageous. 

The point is that we think to own their place, their territory, their lives and with this idea behind, we think we can do everything (yes in an American way) we want. Beside the arrogance in this attitude, the underlying hypocrisy is that we would never accept this behaviour from somebody else in our territory. 

Let's make an example. Let's assume a non-British comes to Britain to do business. And for this example this person's business concerns motorways and road building. As a powerful man, he knows the major authorities and therefore he can start building major and minor roads, including tons of shops along the way with his partners, throughout the UK, destroying the pretty and conserved countryside, simply because this is irrelevant for this business man. Soon, the UK would become a polluted country covered with cities and towns, and maybe there would be even motorways passing next to Stonehenge! 

Now, would this person be well accepted by most of the British people? I would doubt so..

(Note that In this basic but realistic example, religion was not even mentioned..) 

Being eager (for knowledge, industry, power (????) ) can be a good thing as long as it doesn't hurt other people. I believe we can also live without that telescope. We might have a "delay in knowledge", but we will still get there. We might even put another telescope in space to cover that missing knowledge.. 

Ruining those people's traditions and beliefs is a step of non-return instead.

This fact can be found so many times in history. I won't comment furthermore on this as this is an astronomy forum, but just let people think about.

We have already done this to ourselves. Our countryside is fast disappearing under roads or developments.

We also now have McDonalds doing the same (trying to run roughshod over objections) outside schools when most of the people of the area object.

Derek

Archived