Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece case re-jig

Moonshane

I am having a rejig of my eyepiece case currently (who I am I kidding - don't we do this constantly!??) which until recently consisted of (all Televue) :

• 40mm Widefield
  • 32mm Plossl
  • 26mm Nagler T5
  • 25mm Plossl
  • 20mm Plossl
  • 17.3mm Delos
  • 15mm Plossl
  • 12mm Nagler T2
  • 11mm Plossl
  • 9mm Nagler T1
  • 7mm Nagler T1
  • 6-3mm Nagler zoom

My scopes are 16" f4 Dob, 12" f4 Dob, 6" f11 Dob, 120mm F7.5 ED frac, 100mm PSTAL mod, 80mm f6 triplet.

After fundraising for a project that did not transpire I decided to change my thinking a little as I like the Delos 17.3mm so much that I want some more of them. Also, i wanted to think down a need to take as many eyepieces when I go away in the caravan to save space and 'force' me to reduce eyepiece changes in what is basically a reasonable rich field scope (the 80mm f6). I have always enjoyed using plossls but have been surprised recently by how good the views of the sun have been in the 17.3 Delos and have enjoyed the 70/80 degree views of the Naglers after selling my BGOs.

Now I am aiming towards the following collection although it may be some time before I get there! The red ones I have yet to buy.

• 26mm Nagler (widest field in my f4 dobs).
  • 24mm Panoptic (widest field in my travel kit and easy balance / full lunar disk in my 6" f11)
  • 17.3mm Delos (workhorse in my 16" and also best in my PSTAL Ha scope and 120ED for white light)
  • 16mm Nagler T5 (widest 82 degree field in my travel kit with a bit more mag and contrast/darker sky than 24mm Pan)
  • 12mm Delos (workhorse in my 12" dob and for better seeing in solar scopes)
  • 11mm Delite (I like packed eyepieces at the planetary observing end!)
  • 10mm Delos (Usual max power in dobs)
  • 9mm Nagler T1 (I like packed eyepieces at the planetary observing end!)
  • 8mm Delos (likely max magnification on good nights of seeing)
  • 7mm Delite (I told you I like packed eyepieces at the planetary observing end!)
  • 6-3mm Nagler zoom (my double star eyepiece and travel kit / solar high power in white light) 

If TV produce a 9mm Delite, I may well go for that instead of the Nagler in due course but I reckon that's enough for now!!

•  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems a very comprehensive target list Shane.

I used to have a theory that hyper wide eyepieces such as the Ethos could replace a number of super or ultrawide eyepieces but I still seem to need a set of 9 eyepieces :rolleyes2:

My focal length crowding starts at 6mm and below but then I don't have a 3-6 Nagler zoom (at the moment) :grin:

Perhaps your 3.0 will be the Tele Vue 40mm - 3mm 75 degree zoom that they are working on (not) !

If I was going to venture any view it would be on the 9mm T1 Nagler because I just think it might not get used once you move to the more up to date glass and coatings of the more recent designs :icon_scratch:

I recently switched from an early model Radian 3mm to one of a recent vintage and there is a slight but noticable difference in the tone and light transmission I reckon, in favour of the later one.

Hope you make steady progress against your target list :smiley:

Almost certainly Jules. But they are so shiny......

Yes i totally agree, a full case is a lovely sight

I see them as money in the bank that I cannot fritter away :0)

This is also true, in a way they are an investment for rainy days.........................

The problem i seem to have is my dislike of having unused kit hanging about............how many times have i posted about wanting to get back to just one scope and a small selection of ep`s..............but it will never happen  :grin:

Lol

Taking into account what's been said I am tending to agree I have too many eyepieces now and in my sights.

I am therefore now thinking of the following.

The red ones I have yet to buy.

• 26mm Nagler (widest field in my f4 dobs).
  • 24mm Panoptic (widest field in my travel kit and easy balance / full lunar disk in my 6" f11)
  • 17.3mm Delos (workhorse in my 16" and also best in my PSTAL Ha scope and 120ED for white light)
  • 16mm Nagler T5 (widest 82 degree field in my travel kit with a bit more mag and contrast/darker sky than the 24 Pan
  • 11mm Delite (I like packed eyepieces at the planetary observing end)
  • 8mm Delos (likely max magnification on good nights of seeing)
  • 7mm Delite (I told you I like packed eyepieces at the planetary observing end!)
  • 6-3mm Nagler zoom (my double star eyepiece and travel kit / solar high power in white light)
I think this gives a more balanced set and I can fill in later if I feel the need. This group can also be funded by sales of what's not now on the list so is cost neutral

Seems an interesting plan!

I am not sure you will use the nagler 16 T5 when travelling though. I reckon pan24, delite 11, delite 7 and zoom 6-3 are the ones you will use the most. And if you really like the zoom, you might not even use the delite 7 much.

Mm..Maybe I am too much minimalist..!

Same here. I have 42mm, 32mm, 25mm, 22mm, 17mm, 13mm, 12mm, 10mm, 9mm, 8mm, 7mm, 6mm (also packed at the planetary end).

I only use a few of them.

I can see a spate of threads..........."which EP`s do i keep"

post-17934-0-85293100-1445699758_thumb.j..the top ep's are for use in my telementor,hardly getting any use but at £50 for the full set of plossls they ain't going anywhere...I should sell them so I could get some other astro gear that I rarely use...hang on I'm going round in circles here! :icon_scratch:

Archived