Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

sorry to be a chore....

estwing

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...says here, Lumicon, Worlds best? http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/lumicon-hydrogen-beta-filters.html

Probably the reason I saw nothing last night of the great head, I need a HB filter, and the fact I only used 70mm optics  :rolleyes: Always learning with this hobby.

Its been Years since a bought a Cokin filter for my 35mm SLR  Camera  system, and I've not  been so enthusiastic about filters for the Skyliner, but you never know!

Not even sure its worth it on a 200mm scope?

Like Stu, I've gone for the Lumicon H-beta.

I reckon the Astronomik and the 1000 Oaks are very good as well. The latter don't seem to be seen much this side of the pond but their band pass charts look pretty good.

The Astronomik H-Beta was used by Luke to spot the HH with his 16" dob at the SGL star party a couple of years ago. Natually I arrived the following day and we had clouds for the rest of the event :rolleyes2:

Likely the reason there are not many user reviews for the Hb-filters is they don't see that much use. At least compared to UHC or OIII filters. I bought the Astronomik many years ago, and have no regrets. I'll bet the Lumicon one will work fine as well. I can't remember hearing anyone say anything negative about any of them, come to think.

Shades of The Godfather,

Dave

Looking at the filters curves I have the best Hb seems to be the Astronomic Visual H Beta No1.

Does allow through some IR up at and beyond 750nm, so you may want to chop that off.

Link tothe web page for the curves: AstroFilters

Well it's the only Hb listed on that site so it's not a comparison.

looking like another 2" lumicon to the collection then :rolleyes:

I went for 1.25" Calvin. Cheaper, and as I understand you don't actually need a wide field of view to see the Horsey. A narrow field helps you keep Alnitak out of the field. I intend to try my Zeiss 25mm ortho on it.

c279769b24c305d8901aa75c5c3cd9db.jpg

I went for 1.25" Calvin. Cheaper, and as I understand you don't actually need a wide field of view to see the Horsey. A narrow field helps you keep Alnitak out of the field. I intend to try my Zeiss 25mm ortho on it

He won't have any trouble with his 21mm Ethos TBH. I saw it in both my 31mm and 20mm Naglers without too much problem.Oh and Alan's 27mm panoptic too (lovely eyepiece).

IMO too much is made of the "get yourself a horsehead eyepiece" expression. Whats really needed is, dark transparent skies when Orion is well placed.

Besides, who wants to look at it through a drinking straw. :grin:

From everything I've read on seeing this darn object I reckon a whole lot of things need to come together for it to happen. It's not been seen with pretty large scopes while others with 6" - 8" aperture have been able to pick it up with little difficulty, apparently.

I guess you do what you can to have a suitable filter, an eyepiece that produces an effective exit pupil for the filter, know where the Horsehead actually is and then keep looking as often as you can. One day you might see it, another with all factors apparently the same, nothing doing.

I still like Jeremy Perez's description: "....it's like trying to see a little bit of nothing with a little bit of less than nothing resting over it...." :smiley:

Transparency seems the key to unlock this object,filters help but I'm not sure if aperture is the main ingredient

I reckon you are right there Calvin. A bit like the North America Nebula, one night it's there, another no sign of it in apparently similar conditions.

Depends how quick you want it, agena astro do a great service and you will get it by this time next week. Iv ordered a few items through them (ebay site), sometimes they get delivered straight to the door..great, other times you take a hit in £ terms. The 2" version will  be more versatile for other targets that the HB filter is considered useful for, such as cruising along the edge of the California, an altogether easier target than the HH.

I have glimpsed it in a 25mm tv plossl, a colleague had seen it clearly enough, for what it is, with my former 20mm nagler and 14" dob (at the time though I couldn't make head or tail of it). Smaller scopes will definitely get it and as everyone else has stated its all about transparency, dark sky, high location, dark adaption, knowing what you are looking for and where precisely to look etc.

Archived