Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury/Moon conjunction, May 6th

Nice one Pete. I guess it's taking these images over water that settles the seeing.

My moon and mercury were all over the place!

Great images as always, always a pleasure!

Ant

Not often you see a sight like this Pete. Lovely captures which have a haunting quality. There is so much to absorb, which requires more than a glance.

Brilliant.

Ron. :angry:

Yes Ant, the sea definitely has an effect on the seeing but at this magnification I wouldn't expect it to be that noticable anyway. Blimey - where do you live - under water?

I know my images are not up to your standard - but that's a little harsh!

Sorry Ant - I didn't mean that - I was referring to your statement that the Moon and Mercury were all over the place. If the Moon's moving in the sky due to seeing the air must be very unsettled indeed. It wasn't a comment on your images, just a joke - sorry if you took it the wrong way.

No worries Pete, I have thicker skin than that :angry:

My view west is dire, my view was only a few degree's above a neighbours roof! I have a gas refinery a few miles away. None of this helps.

Ant

Ouch! I'm lucky having access to the beach. Mind you, I wouldn't need to if certain neighbours realised that trees can be pruned from time to time!

As I said I didn't mean what I think you thought I meant anyway. I rather like your shot with the flag - nice to have something tangibly terrestrial in the frame. Beach shots are nice but sometimes I crave for something in the foreground. Selsey's got the lifeboat station and a windmill and that's about it. The lifeboat station was in the wrong direction and the windmill is locked into a holiday camp.

There goes the "only 1% of the world's population have ever seen Mercury" statistic I'm so fond of stating!!

Excellent that so many have seen it and imaged it. That's what amateur astronomy's all about.

Ant, I remember Canvey skies as being permeated with a foggy mist from Coryton Oil Refinery.

Things have probably changed since them days, but it seems you are stlill plagued with gunge from somewhere.

It must tough for you mate. but you make the best of it I guess.

Ron. :angry:

So there I was, telescope stuck out of the bathroom window (there are trees all over the western horizon) murk and light pollution so bad that I actually couldn't see Mercury with the naked eye and had to use the binoculars to sight it.

Three things proved: Mercury looks like a small disc, looking out of a window DOES make everything boil because of the warm air currents, and discarded eyepieces inevitably fall in the washbasin.

Still I saw it! :angry:

AG

Excellent - well done and yes to all three! Eyepieces seem to have a special ability to fall on the floor don't they?! A bit like how torches have an ability to hide just after you've switched them off!

Good capture Pete, saw it last night as we drove home from friends, couldn't believe how bright Mercury was. My camera was in the car, but I had had far tooooo much Chardonnay and beer and the wife wouldn't stop, luckily she was driving.

Archie

Archived