SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Winter showpieces, early views.

cotterless45

A most memorable early morning session with clear still skies.The summer constellations had drifted away.

Just time to search for a couple of clusters (NGC 595 and NGC 604 )with nebulosity to M33, the nebulosity in the ep turned out to be the core area of M33 at x40.

I caught Kruger 60, just to note its position, some speedy rotation going on there. It's in Cepheus and one of the closest doubles.

Gemini was on it's side. M35 with bright chains and dustiness. The Eskimo nebula was a welcome sight, showing a good halo at higher magnification. Just about caught NGC 2371/2, the bi polled planetary nebula. Then the clusters NGC 2266 ( dusty), NGC 2304 and NGC 2158.

Auriga dominates the sky now. I caught the fabulous triple Bogardus (θ) ,quite a challenge with the bright star nesting it's close secondary (SAO 58636).UU Aurigae (SAO 59280) showing the red of this carbon star.

Welcome back to Orion, full bow visible. Up to NGC 2169 and the "37" cluster , probably best in a Newt.

Had a look at Hind's Crimson star (SAO 150058), down in Lepus.

First view of the trapezium this season.

To the right(south) is the bright star Cursa. The start of Eridanus, follow this and you'll find another fabulous triple, Keid (ο2). This one's delicate with the faint companion , a red dwarf,holding the third star, a white dwarf.

Over to the left of Orion and the difficult to spot, Monoceros. NGC 2244 and

NGC 2264 showing the "Christmas tree". Probably the finest triple here on view, the bright, tight β .A bit of magnification will open these out. An old favourite appeared, the cluster NGC 2301 " Hagrid's Dragon".

Procyon arrived with a view of the "Beehive" M44 in the void. As a very bright Venus climbed showing a wonderful thin crescent with the red pea of Mars tagging along. About 5 past 5 the ISS gave a brilliant pass through the Hyades.

Couldn't ignore Taurus, M 1 still there ! Kept looking up at the zenith to spot the double cluster there. Later Sirius appeared brightly above the chimneys.

Such a lovely preview of treasures to come. Venus is a must see at x30,still useful at 6.30.

Clear skies,

Nick.

post-6974-0-04117300-1442469062_thumb.jppost-6974-0-68766100-1442469084_thumb.jp

Nice report Nick, lots of lovely objects there!

I'm not really a get out of bed early person plus my skies to the east are light polluted so I've still got a few more weeks of summer objects to go but its nice reading your report just for the reminder of whats to come. :)

Archived