Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A total beginner image of the Sun

Piero

Last Saturday, I had a lovely session observing the Sun. There was a group of sunspots located in the South Hemisphere. They were really pretty and five of them were surrounded by penumbra regions. This group was compacted and the image of dark spots, penumbra and the solar surface seemed quite artistic. It was a shame to not bring something at home from that moment. So I decided to take a photo of it  :rolleyes:

Details : 

- TV60 + Lunt Herschel Wedge + Nagler 7mm + Orion Green Filter #58

- LG Nexus 4 

- Manfrotto light compact 3 way tripod

- auto exposure

- my hands holding the phone

post-36931-0-17648800-1440453865_thumb.j

I adjusted the colour curves using Gimp here before converting to grey scale. 

post-36931-0-04338500-1440453238_thumb.j

That has come out very well Piero. I've done this a lot myself do I know it's not easy!!

Not sure which phone you have, I have an iPhone and there is an app called ProCam which gives you better control of focus and exposure, works quite well.

Stu

It's from this start Piero that things just get better & better, good beginnings keep it up.

Better start saving as once you get the Solar bug your wallets never full again, I blame Luke for my kit :-)

@Stu. Thanks for the suggestion! I have an Android phone. I will have a look whether I can find that app or something similar for Android.

@Ewan. Thanks for the warning :D. I am a solar enthusiast, whereas my main interest is DSO observation. This was more a quick try than a first attempt though!

I asked a close friend of mine (thanks Glyn!) if he could kindly play with the it.

Eventually the image below came out.   :rolleyes:

Although the quality is surely limited due to the way the original image was taken, I find amazing that details on the corona are visible in that way! And all of this using a phone! 

All this is really cool!  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

post-36931-0-05099000-1440698888_thumb.j

Archived