Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6" scopes - eye candy

Lovely and very expensive kit, bit annoying that they had a shootout, raised the question "so what were the results?", then didn't answer the question posed :(

Still nice looking scopes even if we won't find out how they compare. 

A bunch of "poodles" as Neil English would say :rolleyes2:

I'm not sure I agree with him but here is his explanation:

http://neilenglish.net/introducing-the-frt100/

Neil really does not go for the APO, and he is right in a lot of what he writes about the pro`s and cons of each type of scope

It was very strange not to have some conclusion in the review, but thought that the setups were too good not to post.I have some afinity with Neils conclusion and could not justify an apo unless I had a shedload of cash. However what we have is a market filled with options and choices. And I hope that remains so, Ahh Trent Bridge...

{p,s let nobody think that poodles are not game little devils..But I prefer Setters!..choices,... options)

i will partly agree and dis-agree with both Neil English and Frank Theys.Both have valid points.Yes achro are a lot cheaper to produce,but i personally found that CA robs me of that fine detail and pure image i crave about and to reduce it you have to have a very long focal ration scope what can be an issue when mounting and in most occasions will make this scope not transportable or difficult to mount unless you have your own observatory.Dont forget,that achro might be cheap to buy but if we are talking about lets say 6" F15 you will be paying premium price for a mount and somehow then this achro doesnt work out cheap anymore?????

Yes APO in 5-6" is stupendously expensive,however, Frank did mention the golden middle way of long focal length ED and thats where i do agree.Colling times are quick,CA is non existing and still the scope is easy to transport/handle/mount.And cost is not prohibitive/affordable.These are now produced and are available.(Lunt 152 for example). If we are talking about 4",again the same SKywatcher 100 ED is a mighty fine scope and can be had for 350-400quid s/h.

I do like long focal length achros,but my preferred "size" is 5" and larger and this is purely the reason of going ED route. 

Again,this is purely my personal thoughts.

Good post Dude, there is a lot to be said for the ED middle ground, I'm tempted to ad one of those myself :) In the defence of achros mind I will add that it's not only CA that's reduced with focal ratio, but all of the aberrations! Spherochromatism is one of them that gets reduced with long achros, then there is a big increase in depth of focus which is very handy in less than ideal seeing. long achro lenses have a very high tollerance to errors unlike very fast lenses where the Strehl can plummet like a rock with errors. (I'm just reciting what I've read from Neil's book on refracters here :D ).

I see this with my lovely little 60mm f/17 though, and I would really like an 80mm f/15, posssibly even a 4" f/13, but having said this I can see how things would quickly scale up and become very tricky to mount! I was on my knees last night even with a 4" f9 looking at M57 and the double double, and thats with a pillar extension! 

I like the fact that this was 2006 and they were planning to build 4 domes and they appear to have in order to hold astro events according to their web site.

There looks to be a good set of facilities, prior to the domes.

Someone asked a couple of weeks back about UK clubs compared the US ones.

When we think of astro facilities it is a flattish bit of ground and hopefully somewhere close to park and that is generally the end.

Anyone clicked the 3rf link, then selected Astronomy and then Equipment?

Try it, have a read.

Thanks for posting the Neil English artical, John. Its great as a beginner to get another man's opinion on such matters. I was also thinking the same, with the comments about the Poodle, it is a water fowl hunting dog. A wolf in sheeps clothing  :laugh:

Yes, Neil does rather go for the apochromats in his article.  I did find his 'enthusiasm' rather puzzling though.  There are pros and cons to both types of refractors, including things not image or cost related such as portability etc.  At the end of the day anyone can make their own choice to take into account their needs and the deepness of their pockets.  I have both an apochromat and an achromat (both found in the used market for very reasonable prices) and wouldn't want to be without either of them.  I think we should all be happy that we live in times when there are so many refractors of all types readily available. 

A bunch of "poodles" as Neil English would say :rolleyes2:

I'm not sure I agree with him but here is his explanation:

http://neilenglish.net/introducing-the-frt100/

Interesting article John, though I'm not sure I agree with him either!  I don't really see how a particular telescope design having "served mankind" is a prerequisite to it being suitable for hobby use. Galileo did some pretty important science with a "chromat" but I don't think it would satisfy many amateurs today :) There's no doubt that achromats can be fine instruments and I agree, that for the most part you can see as much with one as you can a similar sized apo. But that argument could be extended to reflectors too. I don't think there's such a thing as a best telescope, just one that suits each of our own particular needs.

Yesterday I was driving to the supermarket behind a flash looking Maserati. Personally I prefer my Toyota and wouldn't buy a Maserati even if I had the cash. But I don't hate the guy for driving it. If he can afford it and it makes him happy then all's well with the world in my book :)

Interesting article John, though I'm not sure I agree with him either!  I don't really see how a particular telescope design having "served mankind" is a prerequisite to it being suitable for hobby use. Galileo did some pretty important science with a "chromat" but I don't think it would satisfy many amateurs today :) There's no doubt that achromats can be fine instruments and I agree, that for the most part you can see as much with one as you can a similar sized apo. But that argument could be extended to reflectors too. I don't think there's such a thing as a best telescope, just one that suits each of our own particular needs.

Yesterday I was driving to the supermarket behind a flash looking Maserati. Personally I prefer my Toyota and wouldn't buy a Maserati even if I had the cash. But I don't hate the guy for driving it. If he can afford it and it makes him happy then all's well with the world in my book :)

Tim, superb post. 

In this hobby, like in all other hobbies we have people from all walks of life, for some of these people a cheap used Tasco might suit and be all they ever want, other people will afford and want something top end like a Tak 

I've read just the one of Neils books on refractors and found it to be more balanced than some of his online articles I've read, well maybe with the omission of the last chapter where he does unleash his passion for long achros.

He does own a Stellavue apo which I believe he really rates so I guess he's not all about the achro at least.

Any astronomy article based on personal preference published online is always going to create some interesting debate, always good fun to discuss these things.

I do find astronomy more interesting because of it's 'personalities' :)

Well, I suppose an achro *might* *just* be usable for NB at a pinch (I think Gina uses a ST80 for fun?), provided you refocus carefully between filters, but I'd still be worried about other corrections. For LRGB use I'd want a good triplet apo, even my Meg 90 can be a bit "iffy".

Archived