NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ED120 or 150 f6 newt

New or used doesn't matter, SW's lens designer ( "borrowed" from Tak the rumor is) has been involved from day one with these things. They really do work well and if the used one is missing the diagonal I know why... :grin: they are excellent. I hope you can find one soon to enjoy.

Thats an interesting rumour :smiley:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am now wondering if the 120ED might be a tiny bit to much for my EQ5 ?

Maybe i would be better of with the 100ED, but then i wonder how much of an upgrade this would be over my TAL100...i have heard people say these 2 scopes are very closely matched

The refractor gets my vote, and there's a bit of personal preference in that I'll admit. I don't know a lot about AP but the shorter focal length of the 120 might be a preference over the 100?

120 will collect a bit more light than 100 in case you do chase some DSO's. Something to savour and save up for!

Jules I always thought you were solely a Frac man. You had a 6" Newt and did not rate it so it has to be the ED120. I hope you are able to get a good S/H model although I understand that the Skywatcher does not have the best focuser and people usually upgrade it.

If you purchase a ED120 you must bring it to SGL11 I would love to compare it with my 4" Astro Tech.

I am now wondering if the 120ED might be a tiny bit to much for my EQ5 ?

Maybe i would be better of with the 100ED, but then i wonder how much of an upgrade this would be over my TAL100...i have heard people say these 2 scopes are very closely matched

I use my 120ed on an EQ5 with the tripod legs fully extended and a 5kg counter weight.

The whole system feels solid and rock steady, if I accidently knock the scope the resulting image shake settles down very quickly.

post-30866-0-02649500-1438424561.jpg

Avtar

I use my 120ed on an EQ5 with the tripod legs fully extended and a 5kg counter weight.

The whole system feels solid and rock steady, if I accidently knock the scope the resulting image shake settles down very quickly.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Avtar

That 120ED looks good on the EQ5, helps put my mind at rest

Hi Jules.

Another vote for the 120ED. I've had/used many of these and they have all been excellent, also the Equinox version.  I'd bet a lot of moeny that if you compared the 120ED and the reflector side by side you'd go for the ED every time.  John's comments on the comparison between the ED and his MN61 are also very telling.  I've also used quite a few 6 inch Mak-Newts (and larger versions) and in my view a 6 inch Mak-Newt is much better than any 6 inch f8 eflector never mind an f6 refector.  Mak-Newts in general are the closest you will get to an ED refractor without actually having one! 

I would have thought the 120ED would suit you down to the ground.  If you get a 120ED in would be nice to see it up at The Astronomy Centre some time.   :smiley:   Best regards, Paul

I am now starting to wonder if the 120ED is going to be a little heavy for the EQ5/CG5 combo, this makes me think 100ED but i dont think i would see much difference between the 100ED and TAL100rs................oh the decisions.........at least i have a while to make my mind up

• 2 weeks later...

Here i am thinking about getting a 120ED, this would be a used scope and will cost around £500-£600 ish, and i look out of the window at the "typical" weather

all of a sudden it does not seem such a sensible idea, more a case of money money/sense

Ha! If we in the UK all bought scopes equal to our weather then there'd be a long queue outside Jessops!

Don't be diminished by it, that scope will give a rewarding experience I'm sure.

You could spend it all on beer but it always finds its way back to the brewery once you've used it.  :grin: But with a telescope, use it as often as you can and you've still got it.   :smiley:

I dont drink Peter

yes because your newt has very high focal ratio (very slow) but our friend speak about F6 that is too fast for magnification.

if i want too choose between 120Ed F7.5 and 6" F11 of course 6" is better but fast newt are not good for high magnification

enjoy from your F11 !

but  how you transport it ? :huh:

my fastish newt will take more power than any sct or mak i have ever owned. great for planets and clusters at over 300x + and thats most times i use it

Never mind the weather, it is inconstant. Plenty of opportunities for viewing will come.

I'm quite curious to see what you end up choosing!

I think it may well be the 150 f6 but watch this space

Archived