Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your spouse opinion?...

Altitude

Cuiriously, and by way of passing, there's no direct translation of the word 'hobby' in the Spanish language and the word 'individuality' carries with it an awful lot of negative baggage and connotations :grin:

There's a fine line between 'hobby' and mental illness they say.....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife doesn't really understand what it's all about. If I have a scope why do I need another?

Brings me Back to the American Sit Com "Home Improvement" and Tim Taylor, "can't have enough tools!"

Derek

I'm just relieved my wife has no interest in astronomy.  Mind you, I have no interest in running so I don't go running and I don't need to share my precious eyepiece time with my wife.  Sounds a good deal to me.    :grin:

My wife doesn't really understand what it's all about. If I have a scope why do I need another?

I don't understand why someone would need more than four pairs of shoes[1].  Excluding those specifically for sporting use and suchlike.  Why would you need more?  It's not like I married a centipede.

James

[1] I have wellies, steel toe cap boots, a smart pair of shoes and a casual pair of shoes.  If I am actually wearing shoes at all, 99% of the time it will be one of those four.

Look on the bright side, my fellow single wo/men...

At least you won't end up looking like this this? :D

post-539-0-79670500-1435307142.jpeg

A pensioner couple - My ex-neighbours, were visiting the street recently.

"Super Bikers" no less! But identical, (bright!) multi coloured "leathers"?   :eek:

"Just say no", people... :p

well if i need anything i just ask while the misses is on facebook on her phone she just says yes to anything so she can get back to facebook :)

plus she loves looking at things with me but think that will change when winter arrives hahahaha

Look on the bright side, my fellow single wo/men...

At least you won't end up looking like this this? :D

attachicon.gifhandh.jpeg

A pensioner couple - My ex-neighbours, were visiting the street recently.

"Super Bikers" no less! But identical, (bright!) multi coloured "leathers"?   :eek:

"Just say no", people... :p

What's wrong with them-it looks like SENSIBLE gear for a cold 'his n her' observing session! Though I think a  matching Bobble hat would be required to prevent heat loss from the head...........(tongue FIRMLY in cheek!).

I spend too much on kit, I know I do. My justifications to myself? I've taken a car allowance and driven round in cheap cars for the last 15 years, making a big saving. I've spent enough money on a divorce and putting my children through school to buy a decent sized house!

I'm not totally open about how much I spend, but my Mrs has just had 13 months off looking after the baby, and now works part time which was always her ideal, so I feel ok about spoiling myself a little. Another thing that helps is when she sees me selling kit too, either to fund other purchases or help out with finances when needed.

She is generally very supportive, although her involvement is normally limited to an 'oh that's pretty', normally looking at Saturn after a glass or two ;). Anything else is met with 'that's another fuzzy grey blob'!

Solar viewing is better because it's warm, I've taken to sleeping on the settee if I'm am up very late as it's not really fair waking her with a freezing cuddle! Since I started that, she is a lot more 'chilled' (see what I did there?) about me being up until the small hours.

I'm supportive of her hobbies and activities (both in encouragement but also financially) whilst not always 'getting' them, she is basically the same with me so I'm fine with that.

We appear to have very similar situations, Stu :wink:

Mrs T never gives me a hard time about what I spend on astro gear and recognises it as my way of finding something relaxing to do when not at work. Most of my working life is away from home and my leisure time used to consist of walking up as many mountains as I could find but that is no longer possible due to my knees. Astronomy replaced that as my hobby so she accepts it is something I need to do for my own sanity. Sleeping on the couch after a very late session definitely helps, as does me not questioning the number of new items I find in the house and in wardrobes.

The minor grumbles I get are about the number of couriers that arrive at the door during the week and the number of boxes she carts to the post office every Monday morning :lol:

Oh - and all those little bits of black foam all over the cream carpet when I have been re-arranging my eyepiece cases :rolleyes:

I do have a habit of gradually accumulating bits of kit on window ledges or shelves if I happen to be 'fiddling' with them. After a little while the huffing gets more intense and so I clear it away before gradually repeating the process, hoping she won't notice, which of course she does [emoji6]

To be fair, I have been provided with a nice wooden chest in the lounge specifically for all my 'grot', so I guess I should really keep it in there [emoji3]

I do have a habit of gradually accumulating bits of kit on window ledges or shelves if I happen to be 'fiddling' with them. After a little while the huffing gets more intense and so I clear it away before gradually repeating the process, hoping she won't notice, which of course she does [emoji6]

To be fair, I have been provided with a nice wooden chest in the lounge specifically for all my 'grot', so I guess I should really keep it in there [emoji3]

Snap!

But I have only been given a small wooden bowl about 6" across to keep my "rammle" in. If I go to work leaving anything outside the bowl it is fair game to be "put in a safe place". I am convinced I have the equivalent of almost a full telescope plus accessories "in a safe place" spread across a variety of locations around our house :rolleyes"

Archived