NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade first light!

si@nite

First imaging run with the meade 12", collimation still needs fine tuning but Saturn at 15 degs from my location not the easiest of subjects, managed a couple of runs in between those horrible laylandii trees that block my view, but pleased to get my first rgb run at anyrate!

post-16599-0-90673400-1433866735.png

post-16599-0-23646700-1433866765.png

Turned out great considering elevation and current conditions Si :) Nice work. With Saturn so low my fingers are hovering over an atmospheric dispersion corrector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Mitchelln Stuart appreciated!

Turned out great considering elevation and current conditions Si :) Nice work. With Saturn so low my fingers are hovering over an atmospheric dispersion corrector.

Thanks also Felix, I use an adc the ash type from Holland, they have to be very precisely set, ie over correction can be worse than no correction at all but when set theres a marked difference in image detail especially in the blue channel at lower elevations, the only down side is the adc needs to be set to the correct orientation throughout the evening as the planet moves ( & of course the price lol :grin:!

Nicely done Simon!!  Which Meade 12" did you go for? I don't feel quite so lonely now :grin:

Pete

Hi Pete its an lx 200 ota 305 mm at f10, optics are unmarked & on initial assessment looks promising hopefully a good second hand purchase, didn't realize just how big & heavy these scts are lol, makes the c9.25 look quite small certainly keeps me on my toes! I believe yours is the newer acf version Pete with mirror lock etc, correct me if im wrong!

Cheers Mitchelln Stuart appreciated!

Thanks also Felix, I use an adc the ash type from Holland, they have to be very precisely set, ie over correction can be worse than no correction at all but when set theres a marked difference in image detail especially in the blue channel at lower elevations, the only down side is the adc needs to be set to the correct orientation throughout the evening as the planet moves ( & of course the price lol :grin:!

Thanks for the info simon. I knew about the setting and precision but I did not figure about the orientation-makes sense now I think about it. Yeah they are pricey. I can't really justify it with the amount I have spent recently on astro!

You must be pleased with that 12" Meade sct first light Simon, cracking image all things considered, so congrats looks like you have bagged a good used scope :) Getting aperture fever again !!

Thanks slim & nucdoc very much appreciated!

You must be pleased with that 12" Meade sct first light Simon, cracking image all things considered, so congrats looks like you have bagged a good used scope :) Getting aperture fever again !!

Hi Alan its always a lottery when buying a used scope because you never know just how good the optics are, there are good & bad in all makes, I purchased this scope from a guy in spain who assured me the optics were good & was only letting it go because he had bought a meade 14"!

Congrats on the new scope Simon, very promising first light, reckon you got a goodun from that

Cheers Neil time will tell still trying to find the sweet spot, but I think an electric focuser must be on the to buy list when finances allow!

Archived