NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is a skywatcher 10" dob any good for a Luna orientated astronomer, a case of more aperture and more resolution, i assume one can connect a DSLR for imaging the moon, what are the pitfalls of owning such a big dob 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't own this exact scope you mention but my 10 inch dob is an amazing scope for luna astronomy (f6.3).  I am unsure about attaching camera's etc but am sure you could get some fast exposure snaps with good detail, I am pretty sure I have read & seen someones attempts at untracked planetary & lunar imaging and they were really good considering.  An equatorial platform would be a step up http://www.equatorial-platforms-uk.co.uk/

Pitfalls to consider: Storage space.

Cool down times require organisation & patience.

Weight as your back will need to be up to it.

Expanding the eyepiece case so extra £££'s!

Collimation may need tweaking on this one.  

Jules, my f6.3 10" is wonderful on the moon and planets. I'm sure a 10" SW would be excellent too.

Is one of the potential issues not being able to get enough info is for a DSLR? You may need a low profile focuser or alternatively I've heard of people using the flextube version and not fully extending it to get around the issue.

If your speciality is lunar then a longer focal length newt with a small secondary should give cracking results, possibly even with a curved vane secondary support.

I often though an 8" f8 would be a cracking scope, but a 10" f6.3 is also excellent.

As mentioned, an EQ platform would really help with tracking

I think Neil English's comments on the 200P dobsonian are quite interesting, coming as they do from a confirmed refractor fan:

http://neilenglish.net/test-diving-the-sywatcher-skyliner200p/

Yes Neil does praise the 200 rather highly, and its a great telescope, i had the 200 f5 and tried it on the skytee but i was not happy with the set up, hence a dob seems a better proposition 

Even my fast 10" (f4.8) gives fantastic views of the moon. The aperture is very closely matched to my seeing limit- views with this scope @ 300x are not uncommon on the moon and sometimes more are useable. If seeing wont support the high mag, the views are still better than in my fracs... :hiding:  :help:

You should get great views of the moon through one of these. Since it is so bright it isn't a 'difficult' target and is mainly dependent on seeing rather than transparency. Large aperture is best when the seeing is good but not when it isn't - or not necessarily. 'More aperture = more resolution' is true on nights of good seeing and when the optical quality is equivalent. But that's a lot of variables!

However, for imaging the moon you need to track it and a manual Dob is hard work for this. You don't need to be equatorially mounted for shot runs of video on the moon but some form of tracking motorization would make the process more enjoyable.

Olly

I use the Skyliner 250PX and love it. It reaches focus fine with my Canon DSLRs. I use high ISO and very short shutter speeds to 'freeze' the seeing. Being f/4.7 helps keep the shutter speed up as well.

When the seeing is good, this scope gives great lunar and planetary views.

8" f8 would be ideal but dont think any one makes such a scope

Balance might start to become a bit temperamental, my 8" F6 dobsonian is excellent for lunar, great contrast and clarity of detail, very quick and easy to set up.

I can't help thinking that the 8" being F6 against the F4.7 of the 10" will be amply bright, easier to collimate and keep it so, easier on EPs at the edge, plus have higher contrast due to smaller central obstruction. Image scale will be the same because they're both FL=1200mm, give or take.

Russell

One thing... SW makes good mirrors and the odds off getting a "great one" are higher @ f6 than it is with f4.7 IMHO. Collimation is the same for either, with the f6's coma free area larger, which should translate into better views across a wider field. The view in the centre of the field is the same. Below a certain point the central obstruction becomes less of an issue http://www.astrophoto.fr/obstruction.html, Legault also has a great page on the effects of (mis)collimation.

Of course in buying a "rated" optic ie OOUK you are assured that the mirrors are top notch regardless of speed. The mirror cell should be of an open design for lunar- I've left the primary cap on to see the effects after the scope has been cooled-not good.

Maybe a 200 f6 might be better for my needs, judging by some of my other purchases, it might take me a up to a year to make up my mind !!

I used an 8" f/6 before getting my 10" and the 8" would be great for your targets Jules. As above, your eyepieces will be a perfect match for the 8". The 10" can make some nice eyepieces seem quite ordinary. The odd occasion when you will notice the increased resolution of the 10" will be few and far between due to seeing. I only went for the 10" because I prefer deep sky to solarsystem viewing. The 8"f/6 is a peach.

I used an 8" f/6 before getting my 10" and the 8" would be great for your targets Jules. As above, your eyepieces will be a perfect match for the 8". The 10" can make some nice eyepieces seem quite ordinary. The odd occasion when you will notice the increased resolution of the 10" will be few and far between due to seeing. I only went for the 10" because I prefer deep sky to solarsystem viewing. The 8"f/6 is a peach.

Thanks Rik, the 8" is looking more tempting with all these replies, but i need to shift a few bits before going ahead with any purchase

You will get good views and its ok for single shot photography getting focus might be a trial and error with a dslr and maitain tracking.

Personally I dont liek the SW Dobs as the bases are way to heavy, If I go dob in the futyre ill get an Orion bas as its far lighter and more comnpact. If you have mobility issues this is an important consideration. (and the reason I sold on both my 250 solid and truss)

The OTA weight is reasonable up to 10 inches, truss or solid,

Jules, my f6.3 10" is wonderful on the moon and planets. I'm sure a 10" SW would be excellent too.

Is one of the potential issues not being able to get enough info is for a DSLR? You may need a low profile focuser or alternatively I've heard of people using the flextube version and not fully extending it to get around the issue.

If your speciality is lunar then a longer focal length newt with a small secondary should give cracking results, possibly even with a curved vane secondary support.

I often though an 8" f8 would be a cracking scope, but a 10" f6.3 is also excellent.

As mentioned, an EQ platform would really help with tracking

I have found an 8" dob that is ................................f7, has oldham optics mirror set-------------i am so very tempted

My 10" dob gives fantastic views of the moon, if anything it's so bright it can easily ruin my dark adaptation! Easy to take low magnification handheld camera shots so I don't see any reason why you'd struggle with a DSLR.

Archived