Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 14/04 from Bembridge

SnakeyJ

We finally emerged from the bank of fog that been blanketing Bembridge for the last 2-3 days - definitely an excuse for a quick session, despite the pains of setting up and tearing down at the end of the night.

A very quick Jupiter RGB, showing IO and Ganymede in transit, seeing was probably a little better than this shows but I'm shooting over the neighbours roof which is not ideal.

post-26731-0-62108300-1429052202_thumb.p

At least it's something to upload after a month being out of action for the move.

The joys of shooting over roofs, I pretty much have too for 90% Of the captures, Its worse in the middle of winter, calm conditions with out housing heating hitting the cold air causing a shock, with heat plumes and streams, Is worse, Summer I find is better for shooting over roofs probably for the reasons mentioned nice shot Jake you got some crackers this year. Hope the move went well for you. Whats your view on the seeing at your new location. Compared to your old.

The joys of shooting over roofs, I pretty much have too for 90% Of the captures, Its worse in the middle of winter, calm conditions with out housing heating hitting the cold air causing a shock, with heat plumes and streams, Is worse, Summer I find is better for shooting over roofs probably for the reasons mentioned nice shot Jake you got some crackers this year. Hope the move went well for you. Whats your view on the seeing at your new location. Compared to your old.

Thanks Neil, the move itself has gone well, though really missing my obs and already started on a new temporary design. The scope is living out in a shed, so at least cooling is no problem, but the carrying out, connection, pa is a PITA. I couldn't go through all that faff, for those 'gap in the clouds' or those early morning events!

For planetry, the situation is not going to be as good, with a restricted southern horizon. Though I will get a good 180 degrees clear from SW to NE, with pretty minimal lighting and no housing for 200m. Very lucky really in the circumstances - just hope we can get a couple of years.

Jurys out on the seeing at the moment. I definitely missed the best spell of the year in mid March. Last night should have been good by the 300mb chart, there were fleeting glimpses of good, but fast effects, which show in noise levels.

Transparency was good, with a little twinkling apparent in Orion and seeing was not steady enough for a star test close to Jupiter. A couple of nice meteors trails earlier on as a bonus.

Thanks Simon, Pete and David - it's good to get something to post up, after three non productive sessions since moving.    Hopefully I can get the new obs up and running in the next month and try and catch something of Saturn @ 18deg and Mars @ 15deg and then almost another year for Jupiter.    At least there's always some lunar and solar imaging opportunities to justify continued investment ;)   Just sourced a 5x powermate, so now considering an ASI174M (+ a storage upgrade).   The C14 can probably wait a few more years yet!

Great image Jake, how did the move go? Not too stressful I hope.

I was also out last night. Not processed my captures yet. Woke up with incredible back pain this morning - and have had one of the busiest work morning which I could do without.

Lee 

Great image Jake, how did the move go? Not too stressful I hope.

I was also out last night. Not processed my captures yet. Woke up with incredible back pain this morning - and have had one of the busiest work morning which I could do without.

Lee 

Thanks Lee - Hope the back gets better quickly and the results are worth the pain when you can get around to processing them!   What did you do to aggravate it?

The move went really well and we're all nicely settled, but the new obs build is taking longer than anticipated.   It's difficult to get the time on the job, even with a good break over Easter, as George had a two day football tournie and we had a couple of hospital visits to Southampton to fit in for Sophie.     Though the weather was glorious and reasonable progress has been made with the pier foundations in and a patio almost ready to build on.

Fantastic Capture. Lots of one detail on show. Really nicely done. Must feel good to get back to it and have a nice result to show for it. Good stuff :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Felix, always want more, but less likely as Jupiter recedes - might get another attempt in if the forecast looks decent.

Pleased your move went well, and I hope Sophie is doing well.

Back pain started at 4am - I have absolutely no idea how it happened, but never had pain like it. Worst thing is that I had to work on a tractor today and getting into the cab was .... well I can't write such words on this forum.

I'm now going home..... boss said I just can't carry on.

Lee

Pleased your move went well, and I hope Sophie is doing well.

Back pain started at 4am - I have absolutely no idea how it happened, but never had pain like it. Worst thing is that I had to work on a tractor today and getting into the cab was .... well I can't write such words on this forum.

I'm now going home..... boss said I just can't carry on.

Lee

Lee, that sounds most unpleasant, but glad to hear your boss took a sensible view - hope you are back up and running shortly!

Thanks Stuart and Nick, just had another go tonight at F25 with my new powermate 5x - nothing much to write home about as 5m+ was well beyond the seeing tonight, but at least I proved the new image train could reach focus and the image scale will be impressive if we do get decent trans and seeing in the next couple of weeks.    I could still get 100FPS without pushing the gain beyond 60% on a 640x480, with Jupiter well over 350 pixels N-S ;)

Jake, can I ask what capture software you are using? and if possible setting?

My back is a lot better today.

Lee

Glad to hear your back is better - trapped nerve perhaps?

I'm using firecapture 2.4 beta latest build, and will add the log file later. From memory this is RGB, on a 640x480 ROI, with gain 20-25% and exposure of 14-16ms. Gain may be a little higher for blue channel, but aiming to keep histo at 70% and fps around 100 for 60s per channel. Focal length is 3600mm ish, but should show in image border.

Glad to hear your back is better - trapped nerve perhaps?

I'm using firecapture 2.4 beta latest build, and will add the log file later. From memory this is RGB, on a 640x480 ROI, with gain 20-25% and exposure of 14-16ms. Gain may be a little higher for blue channel, but aiming to keep histo at 70% and fps around 100 for 60s per channel. Focal length is 3600mm ish, but should show in image border.

Thanks Jake, very interesting. 

I've the colour QHY5LII so a little different with setting. I too aim for 70% with histogram. Usually my gain is 50 - 60% which may be where I'm going wrong. 

I'll have to have a go with lower gain and increase exposure accordingly. 

Lee

Archived