Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 400 hour image...

ollypenrice

Thanks for sharing and congratulations Tom and Olly.  After seeing the sneak preview of the Ha last year, I've been waiting in anticipation of the colour.  This is a world class image and testament to both your hard work and skills, well done both of you :-) 

Very very nice image.

I'm definitely one for buying a decently sized poster print of this if it becomes available, it'd look pretty above the fireplace!

Any thoughts of submitting a lower res 10k x 6x image (still good enough for fullpage print quality to Sky and Telescope, either for their Gallery or for inclusion in their special issues?

Hi Cathal,

Glad you like it.

I hope Prints will be available of this shortly at the astro events in Ireland, I may even have one at Shannonside soon where you can see it in person.

We'll eventually get it out to the magazines and the like. We re taking a breather at the moment after all the work that went into this.

Thanks Tom.

• Like 2

Freaking Awesome!! I would love to hang a print of this on my wall. This is the very area of the sky that got me into this hobby and I have gone as far as tattooing the orion nebula on myself. It is nice to have friends to tackle the immense project that had to be. 

So now the question....How do I go about getting one to hang on the wall? 

• Like 1

I do realise this is one exceptional image and Tom is only answering questions but please remember folks that commercial advertising/trading is a no-no on sgl so lets not put Tom and Olly in an awkward position :) 

Thank you for your understanding :)

Freaking Awesome!! I would love to hang a print of this on my wall. This is the very area of the sky that got me into this hobby and I have gone as far as tattooing the orion nebula on myself. It is nice to have friends to tackle the immense project that had to be. 

Very very nice image.

I'm definitely one for buying a decently sized poster print of this if it becomes available, it'd look pretty above the fireplace!

Any thoughts of submitting a lower res 10k x 6x image (still good enough for fullpage print quality to Sky and Telescope, either for their Gallery or for inclusion in their special issues?

I am really intrigued.. but please.. please.. I don't want to be the one that gets this thread shut down. Err.. the Tattoo. How did that come out exactly?

Tom and I are not expert tattooists (perhaps with no direct hands on experience whatever so far...) but I have a Dremmel Tool and Tom has some inks he drained from disused ball point pens and we'd be delighted to have a go. If SGL members would care to form an orderly queue we'll start drilling straight away. Once the survival rate hits 70% we'll try to set up a deal with Steve at FLO...

Olly

• Like 2

Tom and I are not expert tattooists (perhaps with no direct hands on experience whatever so far...) but I have a Dremmel Tool and Tom has some inks he drained from disused ball point pens and we'd be delighted to have a go. If SGL members would care to form an orderly queue we'll start drilling straight away. Once the survival rate hits 70% we'll try to set up a deal with Steve at FLO...

Olly

:happy1:  :lol:  :happy1:

• 2 weeks later...

We can't have young Mr Goodricke so upset after all he's done for eclipsing binaries!

Larger one is here;  http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-LgK642h/0/O/ORION%20400%20HRS%20WEB.jpg

Smaller one is here;  http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-LgK642h/0/X3/ORION%20400%20HRS%20WEB-X3.jpg

Olly

• Like 1

Can't say much. Awesome, marvelous, ... small words, for a gigantic accomplishment. 

Maybe a good place for it is at the ESA home building. Or maybe you can print it in small sections, 12''x16'', and sell it as a serial photo. And i'm not joking. I think that a lot of people would love to buy, the whole picture, or a part of it. in steps, and put it together like a cosmic puzzle.

• 1 month later...

So far, no. Tom has organized some big prints, two for people who've asked to buy them and one is currently on its way to me in a large cardboard tube. These are 'only' 1.8 metres high. I haven't yet broken this news to Monique's picture framers but I'm sure they'll be able to deal with it. Tom will be here next month and we'll get down to discussing how to propose a big one to museums during his stay. I do hope we can find an interested party but Tom and I can't afford to get a full size print done. It would be the cost of a reasonable car.

Olly

It would be the cost of a reasonable car.

Now Olly, you really do need to define 'a reasonable car' to give this some kind of perspective. I'm thinking 'Fiat Panda', that's reasonable but then at a lower price, so is my old '1998 Impreza' :grin: :grin: .

All joking aside, I hope you and Tom get this going.

Now Olly, you really do need to define 'a reasonable car' to give this some kind of perspective. I'm thinking 'Fiat Panda', that's reasonable but then at a lower price, so is my old '1998 Impreza' :grin: :grin: .

All joking aside, I hope you and Tom get this going.

Heheh, a reasonable car could indeed be anything. A full size 8 metre high print would, I think, buy a car we would, as confessed petrol heads, both consider reasonable. Maybe not new, but reasonable enough to scare the pants off us. Maybe it would be better to describe such a car as unreasonable...  Ah yes, that's more like it!

:grin: lly

• Like 2

Well if you factor in the old car I'm driving, a "resonable car" works as a definition for me. Here is what my 1.27m x 0.7m version looks like framed. Taken from a phone camera so it does not do it great justice.

Tom

post-4679-0-42791100-1431951212_thumb.jp

• Like 6

if the print cost the same as an unreasonable car then what is the wall going to cost to hang it on. why not just use a projector and shine it on the clouds there is no shortage of them. :smiley:

if the print cost the same as an unreasonable car then what is the wall going to cost to hang it on. why not just use a projector and shine it on the clouds there is no shortage of them. :smiley:

Clouds? Rings a bell. Aren't they a British thing?

:grin: lly

Just a thought but could you not get access to a good quality A3 inkjet? A lot of work i know (im guessing around 450 printouts and around £120 cost) and not publisher quality but it would at least give you a displayable print that could be shown to potential buyers. Once a buyer is found you could negotiate with them final printing costs.

• Like 1