SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

only image from the 3rd feb

Pete Presland

Frustrating night yesterday, only 1 image run in around 2-3 hours so much cloud despite the clear forecast.

The usual set up C9.25/ASI120mm 4,000 frames @ R,G and 3,000 @ B. Aligned in  PIPP and stacked in A/S. Shame about the cloud the seeing was quite good while it was clear. Nice to catch another one of the transits though :smiley:

post-5271-0-64176300-1423085236.png

Looks like under ideal conditions you will get something even better. So very promising. Fine tune what you think you need to do to improve on this, and get ready for the next night. We must always look forward. Other wise we will all go nuts

It is a nice image

I spend a lot of time at work planning and trying to analyse what I have done. I think I need to image more at F20 rather than the native F10ish that I normally image at. Its just the conditions seldom seem good enough for this.

Nice shot, I do like a moon and a transit (not the van!!) 

Why only 3000 for B, are you having to increase the exposure? You may find that a slight increase in gain to keep the exposure down and up the number of frames may help as the B is always going to be the problem colour. More frames should give you a few better quality ones to stack. It's all obviously a balance though on gain/noise/frames captured

Nice shot, I do like a moon and a transit (not the van!!) 

Why only 3000 for B, are you having to increase the exposure? You may find that a slight increase in gain to keep the exposure down and up the number of frames may help as the B is always going to be the problem colour. More frames should give you a few better quality ones to stack. It's all obviously a balance though on gain/noise/frames captured

Yes thats excatly right, also i getting to around 90 seconds for the total exposure length. i suppose i should really keep going and try WINJUPOS to derotate the final image

Yes thats excatly right, also i getting to around 90 seconds for the total exposure length. i suppose i should really keep going and try WINJUPOS to derotate the final image

This would be my plan. Not sure what camera you are using. But with a C9.25   a FL of around 5 or 6 meters is a good aim. Get as fast a frame rate as is possible with about a 70% histogram levels, gain is bad, but lots of frames can to a degree counteract a higher gain so its always a trade off. I would generally rather haver a higher gain faster frame rate than low gain low frame rate.

you should be trying two mins a channel at least. winjupos really is needed. if you get stuck pm I will see if I can help. good luck  

Thanks for the comments and advice

This would be my plan. Not sure what camera you are using. But with a C9.25   a FL of around 5 or 6 meters is a good aim. Get as fast a frame rate as is possible with about a 70% histogram levels, gain is bad, but lots of frames can to a degree counteract a higher gain so its always a trade off. I would generally rather haver a higher gain faster frame rate than low gain low frame rate.

you should be trying two mins a channel at least. winjupos really is needed. if you get stuck pm I will see if I can help. good luck  

70-80% histogram level is about what i always aim for. I will be out again to night and hopefully some decent conditions will allow me to try the barlow. I never seem to be able to get a decent enough focus with the barlow to have any confidence in the data.

I think i will play safe with some normal length runs, but also do some longer ones to experiment with WINJUPOS thank you for the offer of help its much appreciated!

I am using the ASI120mm. A FL of around 5 or 6 meters seems very long, but i with WINJUPOS i dont suppose rotation is an issue for quite a few minutes even at that length.  70-80% histogram level is about the level i image at and does seem to yeild some decent detail.

Thanks for the comments and advice

70-80% histogram level is about what i always aim for. I will be out again to night and hopefully some decent conditions will allow me to try the barlow. I never seem to be able to get a decent enough focus with the barlow to have any confidence in the data.

I think i will play safe with some normal length runs, but also do some longer ones to experiment with WINJUPOS thank you for the offer of help its much appreciated!

No worries make sure your scope is super cooled down, and well collimated. And if the image doesn't focus straight away, work at it for a bit, don't give up after a few mins, normally my first captures are not the best. When you focus with a barlow stand away from the laptop screen. it helps see the faint detail come into focus, about three feet is fine, even more sometimes. good luck hope you get some joy

Very nicely done Pete - it's very frustrating trying to get respectable RGB when the clouds keep rolling over and there's good detail in there.   The 925 needs a good clear night to really show off, but looks like it's all nicely tuned up and ready ;)

Archived