Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

weather forecast!

BenDavis

May be I'm a feeling a little tired from lack of sleep due to having young children waking up all hours but tonight I got annoyed as after lugging out the scope and kit which weighs over 50k and setting up, the clouds rolled in.

I do blame myself in part as I only checked the bbc forcast for our postcode:

post-35206-0-02968900-1422128674_thumb.p

But clear outside said:

post-35206-0-25710900-1422128812_thumb.p

But what I usually check is sat24 which always seems the best to use to predict the weather my self:

X marks me spot!

post-35206-0-20469500-1422128896_thumb.p

It just seems crazy that I have to do my own weather forecast my self every time I use the scope all night!?

I guess I'm not the only one!?

At least I'll get some sleep tonight.... hopefully!

It just seems crazy that I have to do my own weather forecast my self every time I use the scope all night!?

I guess I'm not the only one!?

Exactly the same for me here (apart from the young kids). Beautiful weather all day - Clear Outside, Met Office, BBC, and Meteoblue all say not a cloud in the sky all evening, so I set up the mount before dinner. Since then, 90-100% cloud cover  all the way!   :BangHead: 

same here, clear all day, BBC promise clear night, scope out after tea. Looks a bit cloudy so leave it half an hour and then its fully cloudy - darn. Back inside to stargazer . . .

thanks for sat24, looks real useful :smiley:

Yeah its good, at least you can only blame yourself with it!

Just finished my Ha subs of M42, now I'm starting another run of 2 hours on The Rosette in Ha. If things hold up I'll go on to either [NII] or [OIII]. Checked my PA azimuth and it's looking OK, less than 1'. I'll try and improve it, but not tonight, I'm still getting reasonable hits on the PHD2 target.

Exactly the same for me here (apart from the young kids). Beautiful weather all day - Clear Outside, Met Office, BBC, and Meteoblue all say not a cloud in the sky all evening, so I set up the mount before dinner. Since then, 90-100% cloud cover  all the way!   :BangHead:

Same here.

Forecast said clear till 3am.

Four 10min exposures done,then full cloud by 21.30.

Something sadly wrong with this new super  weather computer.

Mick.

Could the speedy moderators who gave me lashes for using a mild swear word please correct my childish spelling mistake of the title forecast please!? Thanks. :smiley:

The swear word filter is an automatic process.

You type in a sear word (mild or otherwise) the software replaces it. No one is giving anyone three lashes.

The swear word filter is an automatic process.

You type in a sear word (mild or otherwise) the software replaces it. No one is giving anyone three lashes.

Thanks Ant, I did only mean this in jest, apologies for any miss understandings to any one. You have a great site here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben, I was near Uley on Saturday night which is not far from you I think?

I looked at the various forecasts and they said 'clear' ish. I checked Sat24 and it showed that lump of cloud coming down so I was not hopeful.

We decided to chance it anyway, setting up under clear but milky skies. However, they just got better and better and we had a great night observing.

You can just never tell, often looking out of the window is the best way!!

The BBC online weather is absolutely shocking and they should be ashamed of themselves. Im not just talking night forecasts which i dont think they even really bother researching but daytime forecasts. I cycle to work so always check the weather to get an idea of the appropriate clothing and cant honestly stress enough how often the BBC online weather is wrong, and not just a bit out but wildly out. I have learnt to take a full set of waterproofs regardless of their forecast. I dont know if they use seaweed to make their predictions but if not they should because it would be more accurate.

Ben, I was near Uley on Saturday night which is not far from you I think?

I looked at the various forecasts and they said 'clear' ish. I checked Sat24 and it showed that lump of cloud coming down so I was not hopeful.

We decided to chance it anyway, setting up under clear but milky skies. However, they just got better and better and we had a great night observing.

You can just never tell, often looking out of the window is the best way!!

Sounds like you had a great night. Yeah Uley is a bit more south of me, I bet you got some good views up on the Uley hill? Unfortunately the clouds came over head after I had setup in clear sky's.

I was probably only just under the clouds to the north if it was clear in Uley.

I have a velux window in the spare room which I put in last summer it's a great way to double check now without going outside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found the Met Office website to be the most use. The weather symbols are probably no better than the BBC website, but what is really useful is scrolling down the page, clicking on the link to the weather map, then on "Show" and "Cloud cover". I've found this to be about as reliable as British weather can ever be.

Archived