Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lovejoy - what a tail!

If only it were visible with the naked eye. Good to have three clear nights in a row to catch up with it.

Canon 700d, 14 x 4 minute exposures, 250mm f/4.8 Newtonian. Guided on the comet's head with ST80 and PHD guiding.

16130015490_0225ce9a60_c.jpg

Cheers, folks.

Here's an animation of the frames. Note how the 'V' in the tail appears to get narrower over the period. Is that real, or just an artefect caused by the darkening sky? It looks real to me.

lovejoy.gif

.... I'm guessing that the apparent narrowing of the fan is caused by the comet (and fan) rotating.  I've seen similar effects in almost all animations of Lovejoy's tail.

That's really interesting. So maybe it looks as though the jets are coming from the same plane, like along a sort of fault line, rather than randomly ejected all over the surface of the comet?

Cheers, folks.

Here's an animation of the frames. Note how the 'V' in the tail appears to get narrower over the period. Is that real, or just an artefect caused by the darkening sky? It looks real to me.

There's an interesting blog on the Rosetta blog site, posted on 22nd, about how the 67P/C-G comet's coma varies significantly over time. Might have some relevance here I guess.

Archived